New Daily Driver

Home Forums Picture Gallery Pictures of your other Ride New Daily Driver

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

@nobody

After some minor work that is. Gotta do some wire chasing and bleed the brakes but it runs great and in fairly good condition. Needs interior (front seats, door panels, and carpet) a patch in the pan at some point, some door seals, and new hatch hinges. It’s a 1 owner car (two now I suppose) almost all original which is neat! (Even has every registration since purchase in the glovebox.)

(Don’t mind the text on the photo, my sister posted it to a social media called “Snapchat”)
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Wow! Congrats! Looks to be in good condition for its age. They’re great, economical to operate cars. I’ve owned a couple square backs over the years, but never kept them long-term – always ended up back driving a bus instead, somehow…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Really sweet!  Thumbs Up

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Nice! Love old VWs of all types.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, I like those cars a lot. They also look extra fly with wire wheels. 

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Hmmm. Can’t recall ever seeing a squareback with wire wheels.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

OK, another item checked off my bucket list! 😀

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

WOW! Those wire wheels do look quite smart! 

Got the brake lights working today. Just had to replace the switches at the master cylinder. While at it I also put new pads in the front and took apart and cleaned the calipers. 
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice. That brake light switch was the first problem I fixed on Bridget.

Speaking of which (not really) . . . if you put wire wheels on the Squareback, it practically transforms it into a British car, and so from then on you must refer to it exclusively as a “Shooting Brake.” 
    Whatever the hell that means.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Warning: Thread drift ahead! ❗

Well, since you asked….

A “brake” was originally a fairly heavy chassis only device used to “break in horses.” That doesn’t explain the spelling, but let’s blame the Brits for that. 😉

With the onset (some might say onslaught) of motorized vehicles, the “brake” was applied to custom built wagons, eventually becoming the equivalent of station wagon.

From there, the evolution to a “shooting brake” should be obvious. They initially had longitudinal seats, so the gentleman could hunt without muddying his wellies. A shooting brake usually had gun racks, space for ammo storage..and ‘d bet a spot for the gent’s flask. Beer

Now this 1907 Rolls Royce…is a shooting brake! Thumbs Up

Lots pics here.

PMOSSBERG2015-01-18 11:48:40

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thxz Paul    good info   

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I rather like that “Shooting Break” above.  Just wish that I have the finances and stable property to house one.  I’ll keep dreaming, and looking for a better job.

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

Ha! That is quite entertaining and would be fun to see! Thanks for the history lesson Paul, I love hearing about odd little tidbits such as that.

In other news, the new “daily driver” got me to work comfortably and warm despite the cold (still above freezing though) and fog. Runs stupendously, plan on doing a general VW tune up soon and going through and fixing all the little things as time permits. Maybe I’ll even invest in a cheapie buffer (bufferer, buffererer??) and bring the paint back to a nice shine sooner than later.
    I will also have time now to garage the TDr to get the front end panels all straightened and then get it all off the pan and paint the body and it’ll be closer than ever to being “done”!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.