New Digs

Home Forums General Discussion New Digs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I accepted a job down in Florida and we will be moving there in January.  I think I will take the southernmost spot on the map in Plantation, Fl.  Y’all are invited to come visit.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Vicenç

I imagine you’ll be traveling south on I-95. You will be passing through areas close to other members. I have a relative in Palm Beach that we visit frequently. As you pass through the different states and should you get the chance, stay hi to the members along the way. Next time we’re in FL visiting, I’ll PM you and perhaps we can hook up for lunch or dinner.

Have a safe trip and congrats on the new job in a new location.  😎

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

You will be missed here. Will you be able to tow to Carlisle or VA Beach?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hope it’s a good move, Vicenc. I lived in Florida for 5 years in the 1990s. It has its charms.

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Welcome to Florida.  You should be happy here.  Although the Ft Lauderdale area is rather busy.   If you get near Orlando/Cocoa Beach, please let me know.  I am in Merritt Island.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Thanks, guys!  I’m planning on towing to Carlisle and VA Beach, so I hope to keep in touch with my MidAtlantic peeps.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

We lived in Wellington (West Palm Beach) for seven years 2000-2007.  We loved it.  The whole area is beautiful and there are lots of great places to drive, ride bikes, or walk, not to mention having a beach nearby.  No state income tax and we had coconuts, papayas, and bananas growing in the postage-stamp yard.  Makes me sick to this day to think that we ever left … until I remember the downside.  That was when Hurricanes Frances, Jean, and Wilma came to visit.  The eye of all three passed right over our house and we survived without major damage, but we never wanted to go through that again, which is why we chose to retire in Nevada rather than Florida.

My advice is to assume you’re going to get hit, because sometime you will.  Get a generator and get a supply of roof tiles and glue as soon as you arrive.  We typically lost 40 tiles per hurricane but they’re easy to replace as DIY using glue Home Depot sells for that specific purpose.  You have to stock up in the off season, though, because after a storm, you cannot find either the roof tiles or the labor to install them at ANY price.  Accordion or Rolladen hurricane shutters are also advisable since putting up the metal panels is a PITA and they also occupy a lot of space in your garage.  Far better to just close the accordions when the storm actually hits and open them when it’s gone … while all your neighbors are wrestling with the metal panels and screwdrivers.  That, and always unzip the screens on your birdcage screen before the storm.  The screens give the wind something to push against until it pushes over your enclosure — we unzipped them and our screened porch survived all three hurricanes with no damage, while our neighbors’ screened porches were all totally crushed along with their furniture.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.