New Fiberfab MG-TD owner

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas New Fiberfab MG-TD owner

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DON MEDON
    Participant

@skater1949

Good Morning all

I have been watching this site for a few months while I tried to acquire a MG-TD VW version from a number of auction and “For Sale” sites. I finally landed one 2 weeks ago, at the price range I wanted , with just the right amount of work left to do. It is due to arrive this morning (in Pennsylvania) from Florida. I will post pictures once I have it here.

My first question to the members from Pennsylvania is: It is currently titled as a 1971 VW. How will (should) it be registered in PA? Any recomendations would be appreciated.

I have previous restored a Land Rover Model III 88″, a vw Karman Ghia Cvt, and a Saab model 96. This is my first fiberglass car.

I am intending to have it ready for Carlisle this spring. Its only about 80 miles from me.

Don

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Welcome Glad to have you aboard, Im not from Pa but in Vt it is registred as the model of the car and it you don’t have a serial number they will either use the Engine # or assign you one. I think if you go to the search engine here(Its VW powered so it will take you right were you want to go) and type in registration there are several threads on this topic. Also if you need help with VW manuals and meaningless assistance from afar on mechanicals I’m generally sitting on the side here. This is the greatest thing (next to me putting a full service lunch and beverage counter in my garage) there is always someone to help you thru tough times or just share the sense of accomplishment we all have as we finsih a small phase or upgrade.  Share pics we love them.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hi Don, Welcome to the forum.

I’m in NC so I cannot give you Pa . requirements but I believe some owners just use the VW title for their replicas. This may be what the previous owner of your car did and you may be able to do that as well. However if Pa. requires an inspection before they will register a vehicle from another state you may run into a snag.The inspector will probably tell you that your car is not a VW and may insist that you title it as a MG replica .From my own experience and what I have heard from others on this forum, the proceedure may vary even in the same state, depending on the particular inspector in your area.

Best of luck with your toy and please keep us informed of your progress.As Richard said ,we do enjoy pictures.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hey Don, welcome. We’re practically neighbors (I’m just north of Baltimore). Here’s a link to some registration info. Looks like a joyous process. Inspections, “enhanced inspections,” all safety requirements, yadda yadda. The safety requirements must be pretty lax, though, since people still build kits and street rods in PA, and the state has Carlisle, after all.

See you there in a couple months.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Don,

From a good friend in PA who has built or restored literally dozens of kit cars:

You need to go through a MV 426B vehicle inspection process at a PennDot Enhanced Inspection location. i.e. a private garage. This involves having receipts and a donor title in hand  ..... best to have just  bill of sale stating that the vehicle was purchased by the present owner as completed by the previous owner.

If you would like to speak with my friend, send me a private message and I will provide his cell phone number

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

DON MEDON
    Participant

@skater1949

Thank you all for your kind welcome and words of encouragment.The car has arrived, but thats another story.. I be posting that story shortly uner the title “how not to load a car on a car carrier.”

Don

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.