New Kit 36 Marlene

Home Forums General Discussion New Kit 36 Marlene

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

Haven’t said hello in a while, been busy moving my shop from Washington to Oregon. Went from a 3 car garage to a 6, lots of room to work on the cars and collect more shi…, at least that was the wife’s two cents. I also just picked up a 36 marlene kit with a 302 v8 and mustang II suspension made by classic motor carriages. The car was stolen and recovered but, the theif caused an electrical fire. I had to replace most of the loom and rewire just about everything. I also put on a new intake with 4 barrel and gm one wire alternator new tires and she now really goes! Here’s a photo I’ll put more in my gallery. Gave the midgi to my son, sold the gazelle and am continuing to work on the two red TD’s one front engine and one vw. I’ve been to busy to post much, but still love reading all the goings on with you all. I’ll Check in again soon.

Washington Will40713.5134606482

Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

She’s a beauty.  I would love a six-car garage. Where did you find that?

Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

In Reedsport oregon. I was recently transferred there by my company. I have often joked with the wife about now that all but one of the kids are gone and he is off to college we can downsize to a two bedroom house with a 4 car garage. Couldn’t find that but I found a 3 bedroom house that sits on top of a six car garage. the house sits on a one acre lot right on the umpqua river. I’m told its some of the best salmon and steelhead fishing in the state. I have a boat dock in the back yard so I guess I’ll have to get a pole and see if they are right.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice car, nice life!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Excellent car. Do they still make the kit?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Will,

Do you have to change your nickname now?

I am VERY envious.

Your Marlene is beautiful.

Allen – No. The Marlene was produced by Classic Roadsters Ltd. The manufacturer of the Duchess TD replica, the MX 5000 (an Austin Healy 5000 replica on steroids) and a Cobra replica on slightly extended wheel base providing a much roomier passenger compartment.

Someday (in my spare time?) I’ll try to write up a little history of Gary Ruthford and Classic Roadsters Ltd. The short story, Gary had a GREAT company in Classic Roadsters Ltd. But ultimately he sold it off to focus on his boat building business. Bastards in Florida that owned Classic Motor Carriages bought the company for two reasons – to eliminate a competitor and to suck the cash out of it. They succeeded. After several years Gary bought the remains back. But the firm was never what it was after that.

PMOSSBERG40713.8486226852

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

Paul is right about the history of Classic Roadsters. I also understand that the remnants of the company are owned by someone from Saskatchewan Canada and I heard a rumor that the CMC folks are actually the factory five folks, any truth to that? The quality of this kit is amazing the fiberglass is very thick and strong it has roll up windows a mustang two suspension power steering and brakes. I really like it, it has inspired me to rethink my front engine td and upgrade her suspension and power plant from the chevette to the mustang II and a v6 or small v8 the Marlene is longer but not as wide as the TD. I am also thinking about channeling the body of the TD to get less space between the fenders and wheels and have a lower overall stance. Been thinking about making the front clip one peice and flip forward like the court wizard did.

Paul I thought about changing my nickname but I started it here and now use it on several other forumns like the mercedes and jaguar sites. besides the folks here in Orgeon keep callin me that guy from Washington so I guess I’ll keep it : )

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Remember – It’s Oregun, not Oregon.

I was in Washington visiting a customer. My next stop was a client in Oregon. Someone asked where I was going next and I replied, “OreGON.”

They told me, if you want to be accepted, it’s “OreGUN” not OreGON.

I do not believe the Factory Five guys are CMC. Their products are too nice!

I said it before…your Marlene is beautiful. It’s basically a 7/8th’s scale Mercedes 500K. Great Car!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Will Burge
    Participant

@washington-will

Paul,
    It is OreGUN the other will point you out as an outsider. Also to be accepted in Washington or Oregon you can claim to be from anywhere except California.
    did some more research I was wrong CMC was Street beasts not Factory five. my apologies to the folks at factory five. here’s a link to what I found.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Streetbeasts_fraud_c ontroversy

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You mean I was mis-led? The horror!

Yup, Street Beasts. I couldn’t think of it last night.

Sadly…VERY bad reputation.

Paul Mossberg

John Conarroe
    Participant

@jlcon

I just bought 1936 Mercedes Marlene replica and during the transport, the hardtop flew off and was lost. I am trying to find a replacement to no avail. Does anyone have any leads as to where I could find a replacement?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi jlcon,

Happy to hear about your purchase, the Marlene is a beautiful car. But sorry to hear about the lost hardtop.

Sadly, I know of no sources. The car ended production, and the company folded, probably 20 years ago.

Keep hammering away on eBay and Craig’s list. You might get lucky.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.