New member looking for London Roadster info

Home Forums General Discussion New member looking for London Roadster info

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

@irzetor

Just bought a london roadster with vw power but There suspension. This has leaf springs not coil overs. Solid car but front and rear is saging a bit. Does anyone know what springs they used? Think fronts would convert to coil overs. But i would need to find what coil springs to use.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Leaf springs in front? Please to post a photo of that!

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

I will get a picture. Its a single leaf that runs from the bottom of one lower suspension arm to the other.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’ve never seen a transverse leaf setup on any of these cars but I recall kits to make this modification being available eons ago. I don’t recall the applications other than the big GM F-bodies (Camaro/Firebird) of the late ’70’s.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Wow! That would be rare. Please post pictures. I don’t remember transverse leaf front end except on a Model T, but I was really only interested in the less expensive imported European cars.   

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I’m a London Roadster owner. Mine is a coil over shock all 4 wheels . To me this sounds like a after market . Isn’t this something that T- bucket builders do. Aren’t the front coil over shocks hard to replace in a LR .

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Did not the TC have a leaf spring front suspension? Ah yas…but two sets of leaves, not one…

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

This is the best i could do. Multi leaf in back, half of a spring set. Single in front.

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I am pretty sure my LR has multi leaf in back   too

with the tubular chassis .. with coil overs ..
    russ
    Participant

@irzetor

I need to find some rubber spacers for the rear springs. I think they would be ok. But the front end need coil overs. Looks like 13″ eye to eye. But no idea of spring rate? Has anyone replaced the coil overs on one?

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I, for one, would like to see photos of how this is assembled. Above photos don’t show anything.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Hard to tell from the pictures, but if it is a VW swing-axle (1967 > ) rear suspension, that could be an aftermarket camber compensator.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

if he has the custom LR chassis I doubt many   have seen this  set up .

jebarry2015-09-18 20:23:44

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

Yes its london roadsters own square tube chassis. 1984 looks like i will figure out some front coil overs to use. What you see is the spring setting inside the bottom of the lower arm. A bolt goes through the lower arm and spring eye near the ball joint. Has anyone replaced there coil overs on a LR?

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I have the same LR    and  no advice on coil overs etc  here   – no shop wants to tackle the job and I haven’t had any feed back here about the coil over stock numbers that  would be correct ..All these guys here VW pans ..

My ’86 LR  with 16 k miles  bottomed out in the  front  on  bumpy  roads   ..I took out one of the  front weights which helped a lot .  Also front tire pressure 20lbs  22lbs  for the rear ..and i am sure there will be a discussion there .. 
    Do you have the owners manual ?
    I will be happy to fwd but  don’t expect much in it 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK I am not an expert but here is my attempt to be helpful.

I believe auto coil springs are sold by diameter, length and spring rate in pounds. So if you pull a spring from your car and measure it, you will have the first two measures. To figure the needed spring rate you will need to weigh the front of the car, divide it in half, and then find the formula for calculating the spring rate needed to support that weight. I think BillinParts has shared that equation here previously. But just–again, in a non-expert way–to try to be helpful, I refer you to this, which i found by Googling “calculate spring rate for a car.”
    This seems like a doable chore if you take it step by step. 
    Good luck to you both.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thxz  EdThumbs Up

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

I just wanted to check and see if anyone on here ran into this. First step should be to get weight front and rear. They look to be 13in eye to eye. I am going to pull them to be sure. Looks like a lot of Harleys used that length. Some were air ride some were not. I am going to look for some take offs and try some.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up  

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Do a forum search for “How much does my TDr weigh”

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

My London roadster weight is 1840 lbs including the extra weight welded into the front. Had to have it weighed for registration .          

russ
    Participant

@irzetor

Just put on a set of coil overs my brother had. Think they came off a harley. 13 1/4in eye to eye. Left the leaf hooked up. Set the springs on the highest setting and gave me 1 1/2 in. of sag. Rears had a broken bolt on the right rear that held the leaf set up to the frame. Made new spacers out of a boat trailer roller. Worked perfect. Rides great now. Need to tweek the charging system, no exciter to the regulator. Also need to install new tires, and might put one of my othere motors in it.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Excellent news. 

Please post pics of this; we’re all curious to see the details of your car’s unique suspension.
    Medicine Man
    Participant

@medicine-man

I recently bought a London Roadster and am excited to now be a part of this forum. My car is in almost pristine condition but bottoms out on almost all potholes or uneven pavement. I checked the rear shocks and they are good. But, there is a bolt with 2 rubber pieces on it (looks like a miniature barbell) that connects the rear leaf springs to the chassis that is badly worn. Can anyone tell me what this is called and where I can purchase new ones.
    Thanks and God bless,
    Andy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.