New owner of something!

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits New owner of something!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

I bought something, but I’m not sure what.  I ‘think’ it might be a Dutchess.  The title has the abbreviation: Clac Rd on it, which I am guessing is for Classic Roadsters.   It is on a 1979 VW chassis.   VW runs great, body is fairly decent, doors (hinges)l need repair, and floorpans are non existent.   So first thing will be to pull off the body, and cut out the old floorpans.   Nothing like jumping in with both feet!

Here are my questions;

(1) Is there a definitive way to tell what I have?  Some way to verify it is a Dutchess, etc.?

(2) If it IS a Dutchess, does any one know where I can find a manual for one?   I have downloaded the manuals on this site for the Fiberfab and CMC, but if this is a Classic Roadsters model, I’d like to know exactly what I’m in for when pulling the body off.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

Some additional info:

Yesterday was a very long day, and we were dead on our feet when we got home last night.

However, even that is not a good enough excuse for this:  I went out a few minutes ago, lifted up the hood, and there big as everything was a plate identifying it as a Classic Roadster Duchess.  Serial number and everything.  Duh!

I still would like to locate a manual, if anyone knows where I might find one.

Thanks,

Jim

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Jim,   Congratulations !!!!! I still have fond memories of  the day I got my first TD Replica so I share in your excitement.  We here are all looking forward to sharing your future experiences.

The Classic Roadster Duchess is a very desireable car .Paul Mossberg,one of the moderators on this site ,built his Duchess over 20 years ago and it’s still going strong.He is the Duchess expert in my opinion and can answer any question that you have on this particular car.

Keep  us up to date on your progress.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I am humbled by Larry’s kind words.

But sure enough, my 1982 Classic Roadsters Duchess kit, which went on the road in spring 1983 is still at it 27 years later.

Jim, I do have my original build manual. I’ve been meaning to scan it into a pdf (or perhaps several). I’ll get off my butt and do that.

Stay tuned.

PMOSSBERG40414.9248958333

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

Thanks, Larry – we are both excited about this new venture.   Never thought I’d see the day when my wife was excited about working on a car!

Paul, that would be great!   The manual would help a lot, especially since we are completely new to kit cars.

This car had a couple of mods by the young man that owned it – including spark plugs and coils mounted in the exhaust to shoot flames!  Those will be coming out. (oh to be young again!)

Jim

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Jim, one of our members did a nice illustrated pan replacement a few months back. Hit the search button above and paste in “Rust, rust, rust replacing floor pans” and it will pop up.
    edsnova40414.7212615741

Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

Thanks, Ed.  Those are some great photos of the floor pan replacement!

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Although now Replicar Specific, I have the “BugMe” Video Series on CD. If there is anyone who would like to borrow one let me know. The electrical harness and floor pan replacement (body on and body off) is excellent. Just PM me if you need to borrow one.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

I just ordered the one for floor pan replacement yesterday!  Arghhhhh.

Thanks, anyway, Allen!

Jim

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Might I suggest Wolfsburg West for the floor pans. They are the thicker pans, not the “offshore” thin pans made from scrap metal.

Now comes the fun!

Jim
    Participant

@agerholm

Sorry, Pink MG – too late.  I had already ordered from JC Whitney before reading all the horror stories.  

I did read an interesting post on The Samba where someone ordered from Wolfsburg (in 2007) and got the same thin floor pans from Brazil that everyone else was selling.  The post said that only the Danish floor pans were the heavy ones now.  I don’t know how accurate any of that is – in fact, up until a couple of weeks ago I didn’t know what a floor pan was!

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Just checked your photos.  The floor pans may be shot, but the paint looks excellent!  Take care stripping her down, fiberglass can be very unforgiving when it comes to drilling out rivets or doing any heaving wrenching when you’re close to an edge. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.