new top and boot and interior

Home Forums General Discussion new top and boot and interior

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I was reading some old posts and it seems that a number of you are in need of new interiors,tops and boots.I live in a area where there are a lot of amish.One day i was talking to one of them who was interested in my car.He said that he knew a amish friend who did interiors and canvas tops for boats.He said i should look him up.I visited him the next day.Yes he thought he could build what i wanted new top, new boot and new seat . I saw the work he did on a boat it was better than new.A month later i was talking to another amish he said he to could do this.they both said they would need the car at there place for a week .The first amish price was $500.00.including everything.If you have amish near by check them out .If not you could come to western new york and talk to them.    

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

The work I have seen by the Amish has been outstanding . They really care

about the details and a job done right. Not many Amish around Memphis. We

do have some rednecks that could make a dandy top from duct tape.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

James, thanks for the laugh. …You’re a funny guy.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Did you ever see the book 100 ways to use duct tape now we have 101

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

JasCochran wrote:
    The work I have seen by the Amish has been outstanding . They really care
    about the details and a job done right. Not many Amish around Memphis. We
    do have some rednecks that could make a dandy top from duct tape.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I resemble that remark! My duct taping is just so so, but I am a pro with bailing wire.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

The Myth Busters made a whole sailboat out of duct tape. Totally worked.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Many years back, I was being driven across Mexico by a cab driver in a VW Micro-bus.

Back country roads, through little villages, from Guadalajara to Manzanillo. It’s a long story!

Half way, suddenly the engine dropped to idle. I knew immediately we had broken the throttle cable.

Luckily it broke near the carb end of the cable. The cabbie ran down into a field where farm hands were bailing hay by hand. He came back with about a foot of bailing wire. He disassembled the linkage off the carb, used the set screw to “splice” the bailing wire to the throttle cable, then wrapped the other end around the carb link. And off we went!

Bailing Wire
    Duct Tape

What else do we need?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

when i posted this i never thought it would turn into so much fun.You people down south of mehave a great sence of humor.You might be a red neck when you redo the interior of your car with colored duct tape or you might be a redneck if you replace your throttle cable with bailing twine or you go to a family reunion to find a girl friend. 

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

My new top was made by the local guy who does the canvas work in my boatyard and it’s perfect in fit and finish. He used the old torn one for some measurements and pattern and had the car for a few days fitting it and placing the new snaps on, etc. I selected an extra thick brown vinyl material with black cloth backing – convertible top material – and the color matched my side curtains which were in good shape. Cost me $400 and it looks great, doesn’t flap in the wind and looks like it belongs on the car without that funny high hump some of them seem to have.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Fifty years ago, I was stationed on an old and tired WWII diesel submarine, we facetiously called “duck tape” “1000 Pound tape” (for PSI) or “EB green”.  It, back then, was called Duck rather than Duct.  And the most common color was green.  “EB” was for Electric Boat, in Groton Ct, where many of our submarines were built.   If my tool bag does not contain duck tape, I’m not fully dressed.  ..And “bailing wire”, well – I grew up in the country and as a kid, the “pot that I used to piss in” was held together by duck tape and bailing wire.   

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Venturing into new ground…

I once had to explain “…pot to piss in…” to my daughter.

And I had first hand experience. My early summers were spent in Peru Massachusetts, in a little house my great-grandfather built in the early 1900s. My grandparents took it over as a summer place.

Until the mid 1960s we did not have running water. We had a two seater outhouse (which was pretty funny to me, since NO ONE ever used it in tandem!), and for over-night use, we kept a galvanized steel pot in a corner of the kitchen.

So poor we didn’t have a pot to piss in? Not us! We had ours! LOL!

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Wasn’t this thread about having tops and interiors sewn by Amish folk?

Man-o-man are we easily distracted!

Paul Mossberg

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Your right paul, but its been so much fun

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Gee just  get wet it takes longer to set up the top than change the oil ………….Dan  PS I have more trouble with the zipper on the side curtains

Dan R40925.6682175926

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Here in the south a Pecan is a nut you can use to bake a tasty pie , but a Peecan is bucket kept under the bed to keep us from having to go outside at night to use the toilet.

Hey my 100th post was a potty joke!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Kudos Mike.

Something oddly appropriate about that milestone!

Paul Mossberg

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I’ve heard the 2 most important things to have in your tool box is duct tape and WD 40.  If it moves and its not suppose to…. “duct tape it”… If it doesn’t move and its suppose too… spray it with WD 40..

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Peecan! I love it! Duct tape and WD40 rocks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.