New Top for Winston

Home Forums General Discussion New Top for Winston

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Got an estimate for a new top not including side curtins for my Allison today and don’t know what to make of it. To high, about right or a really good deal. Allison’s have 3 windows in the top. 2 rear quarter windows and of course the rear window. Can’t match the original material and the side curtins are in like new condition so I’m going with a contrasting color for the top to match the trim.

$600.00 + Tax.

What do you all think??????

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Tom, Sounds reasonable to me. I paid $200. just for side curtains. I made patterns out of cardboard with the windows cut out. I fitted the snaps that attach to the body and the velcro that attaches to the top myself. All the shop had to do was cut the material to match my pattern and sew a hem arround the outer edge and the window.

The guy did a good job but now I am working on a curtain for the driver’s door using a frame that I made out of aluminum somewhat like the original MG and the Allison used.I had already made a left rear quarter window to use when the weather is too cool to have all the windows out but too warm to have all the windows in place. I’ve designed the door window to mate with it.I’ll post pictures when I am finished. I had made a set like this for the car I sold when I got the BCW. It sure is nice to be able to get in and out by simply opening the doors.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Sounds like it’s in the ball park, said the man who had two new convertible tops put on his Pontiac in the early-mid 2000s. Those were about $800 each.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Larry. I think I’m gonna want your side curtain patterns, particularly if they’re going on your BCW.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ed, I thru the patterns away after the shop finished the curtains. I just held cardboard up to the car and traced out the size , Every BCW i’ve seen has a slightly differrent top so you should need to make your own.

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Well that may seem like alot but if it comes out the way you want it to  be and can’t do it your self , than it is a good price  Dan

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Sounds right to me.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

Larry Murphy wrote:

The guy did a good job but now I am working on a curtain for the driver’s door using a frame that I made out of aluminum somewhat like the original MG and the Allison used. . . . I had made a set like this for the car I sold when I got the BCW. It sure is nice to be able to get in and out by simply opening the doors.

My first car was a ’62 A-H Sprite Mk II, and the side curtains that came with it were in terrible shape from seven years in a barn outside Shiner, Texas. So at my Dad’s suggestion I drove it around to several boat dealers here in Houston and got bids on having a new set made. The ones I ended up with were much better constructed than the originals, with aluminum frames, rubber weatherstripping and polished plexi panels. Don’t recall what I paid back then (1969), but I do know it was much, much less than buying some from BMC. Might be worth checking out.

Oh, and Tom — $600 sounds more than reasonable to me, since my Lafer’s top ran quite a bit more than that.

TexAg7140791.9135069444

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Tom Colello
    Participant

@gunfighter

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m gonna order the top this week. My side curtins are in excellent condition and I sure wish he could match the fabric color but can’t. For now I’m gonna go with a dark brown stay fast canvas that will match the trim on the side curtins then later get the side curtins done to match the top. Gotta be ready for cooler temps. Down south we don’t see the winters you all do up north but it gets cold enough to have a top and side curtins that’s for sure. Also I’m gonna see if it’s possible to install zip out windows in the side curtins like jeep soft doors have. I’ll post some pics when I get the top done.

Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.