NEWBIE LOOKING AT 2 TOYS

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas NEWBIE LOOKING AT 2 TOYS

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Welcome to the club, Ed. Good luck with the project.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

thanks,

hope to be in the full loop, soon.

just want to get it home, clean it up, and, hope the weather gets up enough to do some cruising around.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Look forward to meeting you.   We’re only 60 mi and a bit over an hour away.  Give me a call & we’ll get together. 

Is your TDr a VW or other? 

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

it’s a VW on a custom built tube frame.

here’s the ad from ebay. I will be going to pick it up, tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-MG-TD-Beautiful-Reliable-Replica-/191485553987?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=iMZqx29efCKoA8Eujbbr0KP9DFo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

going to do a little fixing up, like a new stereo, and, I’m sure some others, a good detailing, and get it on the road. hope the weather gets warmer.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Looks great. 

Those look like huge tires.  What size are they?  I have some advice about the radio.  If you plan on driving top down a lot, you won’t be able to read the dial (the sun bleaches it out).  You might want to buy an old style radio that has a mechanical frequency pointer.

Have fun. 

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Looks like you have a London Roadster with a custom chassis…You will enjoy  it! 

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

you’re right.

I’m passing on what appears to be a fiber fab in longs, s.c., that needs work, but, I got him down to 300 even, and figure that he would take 2,500 – 2,750, due to the length of time it has been listed.

I decided that I had enough projects going on, even though, this one needs a few things, all very minor.

I feel I made the right choice, and, only have 1,000 of my own money invested, and, can sell off enough mg b parts to make that back in no time.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Congrats! Looks like a nice example…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Ed

I have had my LR like yours for three years ..I am not a gear head  but  if you have any questions  let  me know    and  visa versa. My local flat  4 mechanics -Silver Lake – has dispelled alot of general comments about the engine build etc.

I have the original factory brochure etc  such as it  is  if you need one..
    We have alot of good gear heads  here in the area  -Royal and  Jack 

jebarry2015-01-24 12:29:32

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

thanks,

I’m sure i’ll have questions

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

we’re back, with the car, runs, and drives great, needs cleaning, due to driving it up and down a dirt path on the PO’s property.

gonna take the skull washer nozzles, and, skull shifter knob off for replacement, and, I’m sure some other things, but, overall, I’m pleased.

I think my buddy that rode with me, is going to go after the other one. got him into something else, sold him mg’s, now, it’s a tdr.

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Hi from Western New York (Buffalo Area)I to have a London Roadster. Love It!!!! You will never lack for help . Will you go to Carlisle mid May . Mine looks just like J Berry’s without the dogs . B prepared for for looks and a lot of question . greg press2015-01-25 16:58:27

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

I probably won’t be able to make it this year, as, this is a new adventure, and, spent all my disposable funds going to, getting it, and, by the time I get it added to my hagerty, and get it tagged, it will have wiped me out.

I still have my mgb v6 to finish up, but, now I have something to cruise around on.

got some extra mgb parts to sell off, to get my funding back up, but, it all takes time, and, I’m a little short on that, right now.

I don’t even have time, right now, to clean the dirt off, that I put on it, today.

gonna take 2 of my lunch hours, this week, to get insurance and tags.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

well folks,

I have it tagged and insured for the road. the lady at DMV stated that they have never seen a title with “SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED” on it, nor have they ever seen one titled “1952 MG TD REPLICA”.

I did find out that it was originally titled in 1978.

of course, you know that meant “MORE MONEY”.

hagerty listed it as modified, which doubled the insurance, and, the tags were more than the insurance.

not happy with that, but, I’m not gonna just let it sit, and look at it.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I have mine registered as 1951 MG replica    

in NC 
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

And my Migi is a 1952 MG Replica.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

goes to show how small my town is, and, those 2 ladies have run the DMV office, here, for as long as I can remember.

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

well, it looks like both of the cars are coming to my shop. I bought the expensive one, and my boss is supposed to go get the other one Friday.

we’re gonna take my truck, and, trailer, and go to it Friday afternoon.

gotta love it

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Great news! Enjoy the adventure!
    Tell your boss he has to join us here too!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

I’m sure he will register, but, he’s not much on posting. in fact, he’s already doing a lot of reading, here.

whenever we get into a hobby, research is a lot of what we do, so, we can have a better idea of what we’re going in to.

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Welcome to the club. You’ll love the London Roadster. Can’t beat the factory chassis and hopefully it still has the factory VW motor. Lots of HP.

Dick

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Be careful when filling it with gas as the side filler is picky, I have to tip the end of the gas nozzle up so it will fill without splashing back at you. got to listen for the gas coming up the filler neck to stop before it kicks back if you are filling it. Also use a gas treatment for ethanol or use non-ethanol  gas. Many different thoughts on what oil to use. Because of the flat tappets I use high zinc oil ( Brad Penn )

Dick

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

i’ll be using ethanol free premium, and, had the same filling issue with the 76 mgb I had.

that brand oil is unheard of around here, and, I’m guessing the original engine is still in it. I have sent a note to the owner that had it prior to the one I bought it from. hope to get some history from him.

I’m also wondering about the brakes, and, other mechanical item, and, how to get replacement parts.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Valvoline VR-1 also good. 10-40 will usually do it. 20-50 is OK for some but it’s a might bit heavy.

You want something with too much ZDDP to run in a modern engine with a cat. 
    It’s not really a problem if you don’t get it though, because, unless you’re going with a serious cam and some stiff after market valve springs, regular modern oil will be fine for another 50,000 or 100,000 miles in the mostly stock VW engine.
    Brad Penn, VR-1 and other ZDDP-enriched brews are a must for the built-up VW though.

edsnova2015-01-29 18:29:37

Edward Davidson
    Participant

@mg-wanna-b

great, thanks.

i’ll be keeping it stock.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.