Painting my Dutchess

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Painting my Dutchess

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Ray  both are sweet    you are lucky  guy

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

John. Are your grille slats painted of chrome? Just wondering.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen my grille slats are chrome and black  fiberglass one piece . the nose is nickel 

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks John. Checking on original TDs most of the grille slats were the color of the upholstery until some point and they changed to chrome slats. Still not sure of the year they made the change.
    Yours looks just right the way you have it.

newkitman2014-12-04 11:29:48

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Chrome slats were rare on originals. Some Mark IIs got them, not all. Slats were painted, int color or, on some red cars, body color. Also painted were headlight buckets after about June of 1950. (From memory. The TD guru site will have correct specifics).

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

For those that want to know what original spec is…here you go:

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_finishes.htm

Grills generally matched interior color. On red and green cars the grill color for tan interiors could be

either tan or the body color.

Head lamp buckets are body color, except that early cars (1950-51), head lamp buckets were chrome.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

my room mate in college 1965 had a 1950-51cream or ivory TD . The best of my  recollection  the grill may have been  tan or even chrome  since that  was almost 50 years ago .His TD had chrome buckets which I distinctly  remember.

My MG TDr is close but  no cigar in original appearance. I have had many  past original TD owners come up and comment on Olive  thinking she was the  real thing.  I am afraid it  would be like putting lipstick on a pig if I tried to change the  grill colors  (meaning  I would totally mess it  up )

jebarry2014-12-04 17:00:27

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.