photos of original MGs

Home Forums General Discussion photos of original MGs

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Found these looking through the HAMB site

Wow! I thought my white walls were big!  LOL
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Ringo,

love those pics

….thx

question: why were some of the head lights all chrome and some painted ?
    Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

John,  according to this site  http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_mistakes.htm  re; chrome headlights. 

“This one’s a lot tougher because in some cases it is correct and in others it’s not. Also there is no definitive date that I am aware of where the production of the MGTD switched from chrome to painted headlamps. Clearly if you have a 1949 to early 1951 TD you should go chrome. If you have a very late 1951 through 1953 TD then painted headlamps are for you. Somewhere in the middle is your guess. Until we can find more definitive information either way would be OK.
    Interestingly there could be a case made for either way. The chrome headlamps are certainly more easy to maintain. The biggest fault with the MGTD in my opinion is the fact that if you are not extremely careful you will scratch the painted headlamps when opening the hood. On the other hand chrome can be quite a glare hazard when the sun shines just right and could cause safety problems. Many race cars today sport black components where their street brethren have chrome. Others have cited the lack of chromium during the Korean war as a reason but I have a hard time buying that. There are plenty of other places on the MGTD where they could have saved on chrome and did not do so.”
    So, we’re good either way  Thumbs Up

Ringo2012-03-15 21:26:33

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

On a related subject, chrome grill slats are usually “incorrect,” the exception being late model Mark IIs. The right color was usually–not always–the interior color. But a lot of MG restorers chromed them anyway.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Here’s a web site about the original MGT series. Gives color combos etc. Paul posted this way back. It answeres several of those nagging questions.

Beer

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thx guys good info..My roomate in college TD must have been a late 51 or earlier …can’t remember the grill..I do like the colored grill slats

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

BTW, that middle shot is of a TC. Who knows all the tells?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Two most obvious:

No fender mounted tail lights on the TC.

No “splash  panel” for lack of a better term on the TC (body work parallel to the ground, under the spare and between tank and bumper).

PMOSSBERG2012-03-16 13:36:36

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yes, yes! The splash pan! If it were there then those giant, 19-inch wires wouldn’t fit on the back.

But–lookit where the tach was on those old buggers: waaay over there, in front of the passenger! That’s some king-hell mega-awesomeness, right there.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Really can’t believe I’m at the age were looking at cars’ rear ends is so exciting! Geek

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Robert J.Smith
    Participant

@smitty

Hey Paul welcome to the club!

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I’ve been lookin at head lights and rear ends since about 13 Wink, even the ones on cars.  At 60 still lookin and enjoying both.Embarrassed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, so I’m not 100 percent any more that that middle pic (up top) is a TC. Look at the size of that spare tire: much smaller than the TC Paul posted. 

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m still TCing on picture #2.

Changing a tire is easy.

Changing the dash, not so easy.

Removing the splash panel? OK, that would be easy. But I’m pretty sure the TD gas tank is shorter than the TC tank, beucase the TD tank ends where the splash panel starts. You san see in pic #2 that the tank drops almost to the bottom tips of the fenders….which is TC, not TD.

Too bad we are not able too see the fenders completely. Formed spots for the taillights (or the absence of) would seal the deal.

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah. I was thinking maybe TA/B but the scuttle shape on those is different. I think your TC shot was taken with a fisheye lens, which makes the tire look bigger than it is.

So: TC.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Airborne at Elkhart Lake, 1952

(The correct stance for a TD)

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

More car butts!

These two clearly show the difference between a TD and  TC.

The TD picture is from a car that was converted to run a Corvette drivetrain. Very cool build:

PMOSSBERG2012-03-20 14:39:54

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

ED…I’m surprised YOU didn’t notice this difference…

TC – Windshield wiper motor mounted on left.

TD – Windshield wper motor mounted on right (excecpt the ’53, which is closer to the center)

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

More vintage stuff,

Check out this gallery from Los Angeles based photographer of the April 1953 road races at Pebble Beach.

Several cool TD shots. But this one is the best:

PMOSSBERG2012-03-20 14:52:56

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Don’t ever again let rain or a little cold weather keep your TD in the garage!

Taken Norfolk England

PMOSSBERG2012-03-20 15:05:54

Paul Mossberg

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Paul, I am quite aware of the typical position of windscreen wiper motors on these cars. I noticed that the TC pic on top featured the motor on the drivers (right) side, which is unusual.

Fact is, the motors could go on either side depending on how the car’s owner wanted it. Rather like changing the door swing on a modern refrigerator.

Too easily changed to be a “tell.”

Lovin’ that snow shot. People used to be much tougher–than me, at least.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.