pinging noise

Home Forums General Discussion pinging noise

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

This evening i went for a ride beautiful night.On the way home i went up a 2 mile long hill about a 15 degree grade the engine started making pinging noises [tappits?].It got worse the further i went.As soon as i started down it quit and was fine the rest of the way home.[ no hills ]If i were to guess i think it was over heating. What do you guys think?I have never been up this long of a hill with it before.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

My guess:  Ignition is advanced too far.  You can usually reduce it by downshifting but your timing is likely the problem.  Check your book and retard it a bit by rotating the distributor.  Pinging, if severe enough can lead to engine damage.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yep. Check your timing. Retard it a few degrees and try that hill again. Or go up a grade in gas. 

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

hmm Didn’t “Two for the Road ” MG TD have pinging?   Tongue  J/K

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Like the man said check the timing, but ( and there is always a butt )  watch your oil preasure if it drops to low it will cause problems. Wacko

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Gee, I guess I’m late to the party.

I was going to suggest you check the timing! Approve

Also, check the operation of the advance.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.