Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Home Forums General Discussion Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Pittsburgh Vintage GP has intrigued me a while. Thinking of making the trip this summer.

Events span from July 12-21.

Here’s the calendar for this year.

I’m liking the idea of getting into the kickoff rallye or the Countryside tour.

Has anyone gone before & can advise? Anyone want to maybe meet up?

edsnova2013-01-31 20:56:28

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m thinking about this too.

Just met a guy that races a Devin in Vintage Racing Group G2 (under 2 liters).
    VW front suspension, Corvair drivetrain.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Corvair, but under 2000 CC? That must be breathed on heavily, no?

I’d love to meet you there and do some stuff, Paul. Looks like the country cruise is limited to 60 cars, so we probably better move fast if that’s the play.

Devin–they clean up nice.

edsnova2013-02-01 08:46:38

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Devin?  I had not heard of them.  Looks like the offspring of a Cobra and an XKE.  Surprised to see that it is built on a TR chassis.  (Highly modified)  Beautiful, but way out of my price range.  

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul,

Nice looking car that Devin. Do you think any Devins will be at Carlisle? Perhaps with the Saab group?

newkitman2013-02-01 11:06:38

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This is my friend’s Devin C, Devin chassis, VW front end, Corvair Turbo drive train.

Devin C (Corvair) Production  1959-1963

The Devin C was offered as both a kit and a completed car. The kit was $2,750 sans engine, power train and miscellaneous bits. The completed car weighted around 1,300 lbs and would sell for approximately $4,595. Quarter mile times were around 15 seconds at 115mph. Dave Lewis’s car with a Paxton supercharger and Vince Granatelli driving, ran 11.94 seconds at 117 mph and had a rumored top speed of 167 mph. About 60 C’s were made and around 14 are known to exist.

PMOSSBERG2013-02-01 10:09:38

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

bump.

So back on track: anyone else thinking of heading to Pittsburgh mid-summer?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

30 Cars MAX on the country tour:

“This tour will depart from a location yet to be determined on Thursday,
    July 18  at approximately 10:00 AM. The tour will take us along the back
    roads of Pennsylvania with a lunch time destination at the English
    style Coventry Inn in Indiana, PA.”

I just registered.
    edsnova2013-02-07 21:56:54

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

I can hear them racing at my house,I’m only a mile or so from schenley park. I have been to a few there in a lot of unique stuff

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Bill, it’d be great to meet you. I’m going to book a B&B somewhere nearby and try to do a 3-4 day weekend with my wife.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

So not much on this thread for the past few months. As of now, K and I are planning on heading to Pittsburgh on Wednesday afternoon, arriving in time for dinner. Next a.m. is the “Countryside Tour leaving at 9 a.m. from the Century Inn on Route 40 in Scenery Hill, PA.  

That will take us to about 2 pm on Thursday. Karen has relatives there we’re going to try to get with for dinner. Next a.m. we’ve booked a 10 a.m. tour of Falling Water and from there we’re heading home.
    If anyone wants to try to intercept us, we’ll be at a B&B in town call The Arbors. 
    In case it rains & I have to tow, I just (finally) assembled my tow light bar. Took apart one of those Harbor Freight cheapo kits with the magnets & reassembled with some 1-inch PVC pipe.
    I know Wobby says just splice in the wires with the trailer plug to your existing lights–an elegant solution. But I didn’t feel like probing wire looms and thought the higher lights might be a little better too.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Ah! Just got word on the cruise. Looks like we’re in the 7th of 9 flights, led by an MGB and traveling with a TF.

Countryside Tour Notes:

We will be travelling in groups of three or four cars, with each group led by a Greater Pittsburgh MG Club member (or Western PA Triumph Club member) who is familiar with the Tour route.  You will find that the smaller the group, the more pleasant the driving experience and the more efficiently the cars can be gotten over the road.   I have set-up the Tour groups and they are listed at the bottom of this email:

While we have included a group of ???gimmick??? questions, on the route instructions, for you to answer (and we will be awarding prizes to the ones who answer the most gimmick questions), you will not be penalized for not answering them.  The idea of the Tour is to provide all of our guests with a pleasant, relaxing day of driving great, old cars on great roads, in company with a group of nice people.  So relax and enjoy the day, the cars, the roads, the people and the scenery at a pace which is both safe and comfortable to you, your passenger/navigator and your group.

We???re looking forward to seeing everyone at The Century Inn, on Thursday morning. Also, Charles Runyan, of The Coventry Inn, is looking forward to serving you some excellent, authentic English pub food and refreshments when we arrive in Indiana.

See you on Thursday, July 18, 2013, in Scenery Hill.

Sincerely:

Bud Osbourne

GROUPS:

Group 1:    Bud Osbourne (leader)  MG Midget

Terry Orr                     Porsche 356B

Julio Torres                 Porsche 911

Russell Glace              Aston-Martin DB2/4

Group 2     George Kress (leader)  MGA

Michael Breskovich      MGB

Al Zelt                       MGB

Group 3     Michael Galvin     (leader) MGB

John Gloninger           Triumph TR4

Eric Momberger          Triumph TR6

Terry Jones                MGB

Group 4     Don Stewart (leader)   MGA

Vicky Musicano           Jaguar

John Vodzak               Corvette

Group 5     Todd Blackburn   (leader)  TVR

Daniel Meyers                 Jaguar E Type

David Murray                  Jaguar E Type

Group 6     Rick Brown (leader)       Austin-Healey 3000

P.J. Wright                  Triumph TR6

Rick Weadell               Triumph TR6

David Haines              Austin- Healey 3000

Group 7     Ann Rogers (leader)     MG Midget

Edward Ericson           MG TD

Peter Hutchinson         MG TF

Group 8     Larry Ross (the clone) (leader)      Ford Mustang

Kenneth Barker           Ford Mustang

Derek Kuntz               Ford Mustang

Rob Barr                    Ford Mustang

Group 9     Larry Ross (leader)      Triumph Spitfire

Roger Zelt                  Triumph TR6

Ray Sutchta                Jaguar E Type

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Looks to be a blast. Will be awaiting photos and reading your blog.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

dgrant & I are getting together this weekend, maybe the three of us could get dinner friday

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hope to see you before then, Bill. Dan just talked to me about maybe tomorrow night. Looks like our Thursday afternoon/evening is freed up too. 

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

tomorrow it is so you around 7

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

We’re here.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, so twice the other day I tried to post from my phone, and twice it shut me down–hence the two-word update.

Had a great time Wednesday night with Bill Hass and his wife Audrey (Crash55) and Dan Grant and his wife, Gana (whose name I may not be spelling well at all). Dan’s car looks good, with the exception of the cracked windshield. Great people, and they led us to a Thai restaurant called Nicky’s, where we had a nice meal in almost-air-conditioned splendor.  
    Here’s us after the meal–Karen took the shot.
    Thanks y’all. It was great to meet you and we’re planning to do it again next year–but with a couploe more days at least to spend (and maybe not driving Bridget exclusively).
    Bridget made it all the way to and fro, but not without at least four mechanical/and/or/electrical mishaps. And that’s not counting the low oil pressure. Dan, sorry we did not call on Thursday after the tour. We were both pretty wiped out and I ended up with some chores to do on the car. I’ll blog it up in the next day or so and update here with a link.

dggrant
    Participant

@dggrant

Ed:

It was great meeting you, Karen and Bridget. Today Bill is letting me trace his windshield for a template so hopefully I’ll have the windshield fixed soonest.

Regards

Dan, Gaynor and “Annie”
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, folks: here is a very long blog post giving the blow-by-blow of Ed & Karen’s Great Three Day Pittsburgh Adventure. I suggest we all meet up there next year and bring our cars to the golf course as a group. We’ll slot in between the MGs and the VWs. Or maybe the VWs and the Fords. We should make a long weekend of it and descend on Dan and Bill & make them cook barbecue for us & give us beer!

Maybe do one of these tour thingies like I did this year, but, most of all . . .

watch the actual race. 
    Who’s with me?
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Very long”

Ed, I could have read ten times as much!

Great…GREAT…story. Thanks!

Paul Mossberg

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, sounds like you had fun.  But you always seem concerned about your oil pressure.  
    Have you considered changing your oil pump?  It’s what I did.  I had visions of excessive wear and bearing clearances, but decided to change the oil pump and voila, all problems completely disappeared.  It’s such a simple job, that you really can’t get a lot of credit for it.  I don’t fret about oil pressure anymore.  As I recall, I put in a 26mm Schadek, but hidden in the forum’s archives is a thread that may prove me wrong.  Total cost about $50.  Yeah, yeah I know about your Subi plans.  
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I actually am considering it, Roy, based on your posts about the pump change. 

Thanks, Paul. 

edsnova2013-07-20 20:02:04

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

any member can call on me to help when they are in the area. I would have been more than happy to help you ed. great write up

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Bill. I knew I could call you if the spare was NG, and that kept me from panicking.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.