Project Zella

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Project Zella

Viewing 14 posts - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

I pulled the carb back apart to double check I had all the passages clean, which I did.

She fired back up, the choke plate all the way open once it warmed up then, then she quit idling.  The intake tube under the carb was ice cold.  Felt the heat riser pipes coming from cylinders 2 and 4 and they are barely warm where they attach to the exhaust flanges.

I’ll be heading back out to the garage shortly to tear the flanges apart and see what I can come up with.

{-Zella-}
    1984 BCW Model 52 kit on a
    1969 VW 1500cc drivetrain

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

I can only laugh at what I found.  She was icing, no doubt about it.

First off, the flanges were nearly welded shut by the folks who built the exhaust.  Not only that, but the thru-holes from the heat riser pipes to the exhaust headers off cylinders 2 and 4 were anything but correct.  I’m guessing once they welded the flange pipes to the headers, they used a torch to blow the thru-holes in the head pipes. Well the holes were about 3/16″.  One side had 2 holes, the other had one.

Drilled the flanges to 7/16″ and the thru-holes to match on both sides.

Then I blew air through the heat riser pipes that then join the intake manifold via a cast aluminum housing.  Atleast I tried.  No air was making it.  Started tapping on the heat riser pipes and chunks and chunks and more chunks began coming out.  Finally got the riser pipes clear to where they meet the cast aluminum housing and air began to blow out between the riser pipes and the intake manifold.  The riser pipes had rusted out so I went ahead and cut the riser pipe off with a cutoff wheel just to see what was going on.  By this time, I had knocked quite a bit of stuff loose.

Yep, plugged of solid.  So at this point, I’ve beaten the cast aluminum piece to the point where it cracked.  It didn’t matter really, I had decided to replace it anyways.  Like my dad has told me for years, “Ahh, the joys of motoring!”

On a lighter note, my wife and I have been talking, and we’ve decided it’s time to look about building a shop.  Most likely won’t build one until next year, but atleast I have plenty of time to decide on the size I want.  I’m thinking a 50×60 with 12′ ceilings.  That should be plenty big for Zella and friends.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by OH_Varmntr.

{-Zella-}

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Adopt me!

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

Adopt me!

Haha I’m assuming you’re saying that based on my proposed shop size?  My wife is an amazing woman.  We’ve been talking about sizes and she just keeps telling me to build what I want the first time.  😀

This could get expensive!

Anywho, I ordered a new intake manifold.  I wanted to go ahead and replace the rest of the exhaust but it’s still solid so I’m holding off on that.  Should be back together this time next week.

{-Zella-}

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Fyi. There are many suggestions for cleaning and improving the VW heat riser system on both Samba and utube.  You have already encountered several of the problems, both factory and aftermarket.  Might be good to watch someone else struggle for a while.

😅

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

Will do, thanks!  I started with a junk one to begin with.  This being a maintenance item, it doesn’t look as though it’s ever been done.

Once a year should do the trick I think.

{-Zella-}

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

New intake manifold is in.  Hopefully this weekend I’ll have time to throw it on.

Meanwhile, been working on getting a quote for a Morton building.  Looking at a 54x60x14 building.

Also, took some time to build a few toothbars for tractor buckets.  One for me, one for a guy I work with.

{-Zella-}

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

That looks like a lot of cutting and welding. Will you bolt it to the bucket or weld it?

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Looks sort of like what the Allies attached to the front of the Sherman tanks in WWII to tear through the hedge rows in France after D-Day. Cut through them no problem.

You seam to be a VERY talented guy with the spanners and welders!

Amor Conquista Todo

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

Edsnova, there are 2 more longer tabs that I’ll weld to each end.  These tabs will extend up into the bucket and meet with the side plates and secure the bar to the bucket with bolts.  That way I can remove it if needed.  My coworker dropped his bucket off to me today so tomorrow I’ll get his fitted and finished.  More pics to come for you guys.

These are made from 3/8″x5″ wide stock that I cut down with a plasma cutter.  A 6″ abrasive wheel cleans up the angled edges fairly well.

scubasteve, I’ve seen a few pics of what you describe.  Love looking at those old war machines.  Thanks for the compliments, I may not be good at everything I try, but I do enjoy it all.

I guess I’ll have to throw up a few pics of the hydraulic post hole digger I’m making as well.  It will attach to my tractor via 3-point hitch.    😀

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by OH_Varmntr.

{-Zella-}

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

This is the design I was working off of.

http://bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar

{-Zella-}

OH_Varmntr
    Participant

@oh_varmntr

It’s been awhile so I thought I’d update my thread here.  I see that the photobucket fiasco has robbed this site of many pictures as well.

Zella will be getting a new carb once she is nestled into her new home.  I’m in process of building a 48×64 shop right now.  If interested you can follow along on the Garage Journal forum at the link below.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366167

I spent quite a bit of time attempting to get her to idle correctly.  I felt as though she was tuned very well driving around, but she would not idle whatsoever even after the new manifold.  After speaking with the previous owner he told me that he’s always had the same problem, no matter how many mechanics he had look at it.  So I’m going to get a new carb and go from there.

{-Zella-}

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

I experienced similar idle problems with my 70 bug TD.  I had not yet found this site but did get good advice through Samba.  Before connecting your nice new carb to the fuel system you really need to be sure the entire system is clean.  I did two carb cleanings and spent hours reaming and flushing the tank to engine compartment line before it passed clean gas.   😕  Fortunately the tank itself was gummy but not rusted or contaminated.  If you really want to try the new carb right away you might think about supplying clean gas directly to the fuel pump for testing purposes.

Regards

Rich

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Also, be sure to check those vaccume tips. If the rubber covers are cracked even slightly she won’t idle well. There is a small disk that sits just under the bowl, in the front of the carb. I’ve had it pop out a few times and kills the engine immediately.

Viewing 14 posts - 101 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.