Question on CMC Radiator Shroud

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits Question on CMC Radiator Shroud

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Hi:  I purchased an un-started Pinto kit about 6 months ago.  I am in the process of rough fitting body panels.  What purpose does the fiberglass liner serve on the inside of the metal radiator shell?  Mine fits poorly and I was not sure it was needed.  Bill

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Congratulations on your project.

The fiberglass liner I believe is the inboard mounting for the headlamp brackets. Not quite sure, as I destroyed mine in an accident in ’08. I now have a steel bar stretching from side to side to mount mine. The liner may fit poorly but you won’t see it after grille slats are installed.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Does the shroud have the centerpiece in it? If you install the liner, wouldn’t that prevent ram air from reaching the radiator? I only ask because I have the VW kit and my shroud fits snuggly behind the front grille.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Thanks for the answers:  My fiberglass liner is cut out in the middle to allow air to flow.  If it’s to support the headlight brackets I may modify it to fit better and only use a portion to support the head lites or use the bar method and do away with it all together.  Thanks again  Bill

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Stock TDs have a bar across, behind the rad. BCWs have a bar; mine goes in front of the rad.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

To add just a bit to Ed’s comment.

On a stock (or reproduction) TD grill shell, there are narrow rectangular holes on each side. The bar Ed refers to goes through those holes (with a form fit rubber grommet) and provides a mounting point for the internal end of the headlight bracket.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Being my car is torn apart I will post photos of my grille shell. My shell is from an original TD and has been, along with the fenders, modified to fit.

I also have original TD headlamp brackets, hence the large holes at the end of the bar.

If you were to cut that bar and install a turnbuckle in the middle, you could, in essence, adjust the height of the fender over the tires.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

william Bennett
    Participant

@beal

Thanks for the reply’s.  The picture helps allot.  I also picked up a pair of the original TD Head Light brackets and now see how the bar is used at the inboard ends.   I am still in the process of fitting fiberglass panels which will take awhile.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.