Real or kit car?

Home Forums Classifieds MGTD Cars WANTED Real or kit car?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Browsing the latest Credit Union bulletin and found this listing. Sounmds like a TC but the listing states a Ford motor, Could this be a TC Kit Car?  Confused

1948, MG, sedan, w/ Ford V6 & 4 spd, for restoration, looks like small Bentley, $4,200, 478-785-0275 , or email me

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

First I HAVE to bust your chops on your subject line.

Real or Kit Car? Really? Kit Cars ARE real man! Approve

Now to your question, I am not aware of any MG TC reproductions.

I’d bet the car is original with a Ford motor dropped in.

Either that or the owner doesn’t know what it is, is guessing, and the car is a Ford based TD replica.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ooops! Embarrassed  Didn’t mean in any way that our TDs aren’t real. Probably should have said “original”. Going to call the owner today and ask. Just curious. But I think you’re right…an original TC with a big ford motor dropped in. If an original 48 TC his asking price is quite low. I saw a disassembled 52 last year at a swap meet and they were asking $25K.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And it is likely not a TC.

This is a ’48 MG sedan, the YA Saloon:

PMOSSBERG2012-08-30 12:37:07

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Jump on that! YAs are sought after & the correct engine for it is an xpag–same as a TD or TC

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I agree with Ed.  It sure sounds like a deal.  Never owned one, but have spent a lot of time around them.  YA’s are neat in a MG sort of way and the XPAG (which was also used on the TF) engine can be found.  Parts are readily available through Moss and others.  But, even though a YA ain’t no Bentley, if I had one, my MiGi would likely have to take up residence outside my garage.  

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.