rear wheel bearing

Home Forums General Discussion rear wheel bearing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

I seem to need a rear wheel bearing for my london roadster.Passenger side rear wheel   is noisey when turning tire comparred to driver side. When you go down the highway it makes a vibrating/ grinding noise that is louder when turning around curb. Have any of you replaced wheel bearing, where do you buy it, any special tools needed a drawing with with instructions would be helpful.THANKS 

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Greg,

Here is a link to an IRS diagram that might be helpful.

http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.suspension_rear.irs.htm

You want to make sure it’s not your CV joint. If it’s the outer bearing it is pretty simple to replace if you have basic mechanical skills and tools.

Good luck and wear latex gloves.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could check SAMBA VW for info on how to remove bearing>

Richard Shear
    Participant

@gbidick

Samba had a video on removing the brake drum.  There is a special tool for removing the big nut. It has about 200 lb torque and probably rusted and froze.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Greg

I had the exact same issue on my LR. Passenger rear wheel  bearing. My local V W mechanic replaced it-$68 for innner and outer wheel bearing and $80 labor.

Good luck …
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Rear wheel bearing is replaced  not with out problems. I was thinking my drive train was no older than 1967. The wheel bearing i ordered was good from 1950-1967, the next one coverd 1968 to 1979 according to nappa .  Removed the bearing the number on the bearing  was for 1968-1979

Reordered it. Nappa  said 1 per wheel  but there are 2 per wheel. 1st one easy comes right off  n0 2 not so pressed in. mechanic  built tool to remove. It was still hard but it worked I learned alot .On the road again.    
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Greg-Yep – it isnt easy  to remove.. much more of a job than I am up to..

otherwise in the course of current events  the girls and I stopped by the movie  set of Safe Haven located in Southport’s Yacht Harbor….The girls and the TD  alsways get  comments and attention
    greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

jebarry,

Our cars are so indentical is scarry right down to the hubcaps ,i did paint  the red in the spinners to british green. Do you think the dash is real wood?
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

John somebody looks very happy sitting in the TD.

Question on your car. You have white trim around the door edge. Is that the same white welting between the body and fenders? newkitman2012-07-29 18:12:00

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Allen -Thanks  the girls do enjoy getting out in the  MG especially in the morning or late evening.  The white or silver trim  is not the same as the piping between the body and  fenders.

Greg  glad you are on the road .. Yes  our TD’s do look very similiar. My  dash is formica.. – I would love to take out the radio and replace it with a glove box as in the  original TD’s.

I luckily avoided disaster  on my  rear wheel bearing.It wasnt until I heard the occasional “ping” that I took it in for a look – see.  The  bearings were actually  falling out ..Haynes repair manual  has a good trouble shooting guide  fo r the  V W’s …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.