Receiver hitch for mgtd r

Home Forums General Discussion Receiver hitch for mgtd r

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Joel atkins
    Participant

@joe-atkind

If anyone is interested I fabercated a really nice receiver hitch for my 52 mgtd r
    Hard to tell it’s even on car. Great for pulling the lil trailer I pull behind my elect glid.gives extra room for cloths,and stuff when your going camping or cross country. I’ll post picks of it tomorrow.Joe atkind2015-12-14 19:25:58

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Look forward to it!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Looking forward to seeing it. I have the plans in my head to add one for hauling the race tires and tools.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

How about pulling a teardrop mini camper across the country on the back roads.

On my bucket list. 
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Mine too. Not sure it’s on Karen’s tho

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Lois either

Might be a Dude thing to do
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We had two members in the old New Jersey Replicar club that had driven their TDr’s through all 48 continental US states. With their wives.

They were retired. And had taken two cross country journeys, one northern, one southern. Combined with “local” trips through New England they covered all 48.
    Both were front engine cars, Chevette based I believe. They pulled home made utility trailers (basically roof top cargo carriers bolted to small utility trailer frames).
    Great guys. Sadly, both have passed.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Paul
    I remember you telling that story.
    My kind of guys – sorry they are gone – would have loved to gear their stories.
    The cool thing is they did it!

Joel atkins
    Participant

@joe-atkind

ok not sure if I did it right tried to download pictures of receiver hitch a couple went but not the ones I wanted to download  , sorry ill get it right sooner or later

Joel atkins
    Participant

@joe-atkind

hope these downloaded

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Joe’s hitch:

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Joe,

What is the hitch bolted or welded to?

Paul Mossberg

Joel atkins
    Participant

@joe-atkind

See the blacks angle iron behind bumper that is bolted to the frame where bumper brackets bolt.the the tube where the receiver slide in is welded to that .a bracket on top of tube is bolted to the bumper in middle.mine has a steel support inside bumper which made it very easy to bolt center support to.I used all steel harden bolts .I have pulled a motor cycle trailer whit my Harley ultra classic on it had no problems.

Joel atkins
    Participant

@joe-atkind

if you want I have some pics I took of the actual hitch and how its bolted under the bumper brackets, I don’t want to try and down load them on here so if u want ill email them to you , send me message in im with your email address ill send them to you.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

schu wrote:
    Lois either

Might be a Dude thing to do

Nor Cheryl’s either. I’m still hoping to do some touring in my Winnebago Rialta (also VW powered) flat towing the TDr as a a Toad. She wouldn’t settle for a VW Westphalia and insisted on having a bathroom, and the Rialta is about the smallest thing with one..

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.