Red Empress $6000 (Sharpsburg-Coweta)

Home Forums Classifieds Running MGTD Kits Cars for Sale Red Empress $6000 (Sharpsburg-Coweta)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

American Custom Cars Empress I

image 1

1952 MG replica car sitting on a perfect 1968 VW pan.
    The ID tag inside the trunk says:
    Empress I from American Custom Cars Houston TX
    serial # EM-1005158
    Car registered in Georgia as 1982 Kitcar Empress I
    The car is in really good condition.
    Nice Dash Nice Gauges
    Clean Interior.
    Nice seat, door panels, carpet
    Seat Belts.
    1600cc dual port engine.
    Nice top and side curtains
    Comes with a very nice white tonneau cover for those sunny days..

This car is clean.. No Damage No Rust

Plenty of pics, let me know what you want to see..

Sales paperwork includes; notarized bill of sale, current tag receipt and a VIN verification form from the local police department. No title for this car in the state of Georgia.

Asking $6000.00 obo

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Looks nice. I’ve never heard of Empress.
    Did they buy and assemble Fiberfab kits?

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Doesn’t appear to be a FF kit,
    based on:

1. The location of the fuel tank in the pics (for filling through the radiator cap), 

2.  Nor does it have the raised flange around the engine on the rear splashpan,

Not sure what it is, but I don’t think it’s a Fiberfab…

KentT2014-10-25 12:37:46

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

It sure looks a lot like a FF MIGI.  There are a handful of differences from mine; the hump in the back of the running boards, the location of the tank, and the instrumentation; but other than that it sure looks like my TDr.

Here’s a link I found from a couple of years back with another Empress: http://www.kitcars.com/forums/pop_printer_friendly.asp?topic_id=3708

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks a lot like Paul’s Dutchess

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’m sticking with a very early Fiberfab. I read somewhere, that the first Fiberfabs were bought from Daytona. The gas tank orientation is Daytona. The humps on the running boards are Daytona. Hood opens from the drivers side a’la Daytona. The top looks early Fiberfab or Daytona (I realize some others also put in rear quarter windows). Bench seat, Daytona. It s my understanding that one of the first of many changes to the Daytona was Fiberfab mounted the tub about 2″ farther forward, which allowed for a full sized MG like grill. Later, they removed the running board hump which was no longer necessary to clear the rear torsion tube assembly.Royal2014-10-25 16:47:01

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

the interior  is the same as  my  London Roadster..but the grill is not a LR grill

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Headlight brackets are definitely NOT fiberfab. X2 on the rear fender having the tab for the VW torsion bar cover which, I believe is Classic Roadster. Nice looking replica and I hope he gets his price but I kind of doubt it.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Royal wrote:
    I’m sticking with a very early Fiberfab. I read somewhere, that the first Fiberfabs were bought from Daytona. The gas tank orientation is Daytona. The humps on the running boards are Daytona. Hood opens from the drivers side a’la Daytona. The top looks early Fiberfab or Daytona (I realize some others also put in rear quarter windows). Bench seat, Daytona. It s my understanding that one of the first of many changes to the Daytona was Fiberfab mounted the tub about 2″ farther forward, which allowed for a full sized MG like grill. Later, they removed the running board hump which was no longer necessary to clear the rear torsion tube assembly.

Sounds like a Daytona, then.  It’s not like my early FiberFab… for all the reasons you list, plus others like I pointed out — or no exposed steering shaft that I can see.

Occam’s Razor?

KentT2014-10-25 17:17:55

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Kent, I don’t know what it is, – but I’ve never seen a Daytona with a full sized grill.
    I sure do miss the old photo gallery.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I believe that is a Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess.

Dash, interior (bench seat, side panels and door panels especially), the zipper and flap under each side window, z-bar rear-tilt attachment method for engine cover, the “radiator cap” eagle, original style head lamp mounts, the filler panel between the front fenders, and the front trunk space. And the badge bar to which the fog lights are attached is the exact same piece I got when I ordered it from Classic Roadsters Ltd.

The sole item not like my Duchess is the dual side window. Mine follow the same outline, but without the solid piece of vinyl down the middle.

My guess re “Empress” is that American Custom Cars in Houston might have been an assembler, and branded their cars as “Empress.”

Then again…maybe the Daytona had all these features? Did the Daytona have a pan mounted gas tank? That “box” in the front of the car here is the same dimension as the weight box in my Duchess. The gas tank is under the trunk floor, in front of the passenger.

PMOSSBERG2014-10-25 18:18:26

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

My Daytona has a VW tank mounted lengthwise in the trunk and sits in a fiberglass well. Mine has a lot of wasted space which I have seen better used in other mfg’s TDr’s.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It looks like a London  Roadster The eagle on radiator cap is the same,the hood opens from the drivers side, running boards are the same.

Who really knows. Alot of smaller companies bought and built cars of short run from other companies. York is one that sticks in my head. They assembled other manfacture cars.

Fiberfab bounced around the country in different forms. Their cars differed slightly in there run.

Car does look good.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.