Red Paint Color

Home Forums General Discussion Red Paint Color

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I am looking for a paint color in red that most MG TD’s use. Is there a std color or is that just personal opinion? I want to use the new two part primers and paint w/ clear coat. Any ideas? Thanks for any help, Dale

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

As you can see in the Photo Gallery, several of us have red MGTD’s. I’m not sure if all were painted or not. I know that my car, Pink MG, is painted red, not gel coat. It is darn near the color of a 1970 Corvette I built in 1984. I painted it a Porsche color called Guardsman Red. Ditzler sold that same color and called it Indian Red and that is what I used. The car was fiebrglass and I used lacquer and hand wet sanded between coats. Back then, you did not use clearcoat over a soild color, only on metallics. I don’t know if that is true today. I used 25 coats and the car took 2 months to paint. I won a ton of trophies for that paint job though. I sold it in 1988 and that guy still owns the car today.

I have not painted anything since then and the industry has improved greatly since then too. However, if you want a red that really stands out, Guards Red is the color.

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Pink,

Thanks for the info- I love your car in the photo gallery and hope mine looks as good when I am done. Mine will have wire wheels- so a little more hot rod style, but a TD for sure. I have just finished fixing all the gelcoat cracks and dings and am ready to prime. I think I can prime it myself, but don’t think I am ready to take on the topcoat and clearcoat. A local paint shop will do that for me. I wish I had enough confidence to paint the parts myself.

Anyone out there have any patterns for the dash or wind wings? I want to make those soon.

Thanks, Dale

Michael Pullen
    Participant

@merlin

If you want to check out paint colors, I think it’s a good idea to go to a new car dealorship and look at colors on cars instead of paint chips.  When you see something you like you can obtain the paint code from the dealor and take it to your paint store.  I’ve been fooling around with the two stage paints for awhile and love them. They are much easier to work with than the enamels and laquers most of us old guys are more familiar with.  The new HVLP guns are much neater and easier to use.

Michael

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dale,

Of course the final color choice is yours. it’s your car, right?

If you are interested in reproducing an original MG TD colro shceme, you will find a wealth of info, including paint codes for Dupont, PPG and others at

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_finishes.htm

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Red Paint Color’ is closed to new replies.