Replaced Fuel Line

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Replaced Fuel Line

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

While waiting to replace my frame head this weekend I took some time to replace the old copper fuel line that ran through the tunnel and I thought I would share my experience.  I followed the process of a guy who did the same thing on the Samba site..very helpful…

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380724

Here’s the old line and the hose that protected it…no grommet..

It was secured by one plastic tie down at the back of tube…

one snip, some wiggling and pulling and out it came..

Started unwidning the new 1/4 inch steel tubing from the back of the tunnel.  I picked it up at my local NAPA store for $25 bucks

Took some finaglin’ and used the holes we cut to repair rust and finally got it rethreaded….

Put some soft plastic tubing around the new line in several places to ensure rattling is kept to a minimum….

Used my redneck tube bending tool….

I will end up replacing all the hoses and install proper grommets as well but that can be done later.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Nice. Those lines you’re lashing it to though–brake lines?–those are cheap insurance too…

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

If there was no problem with the copper line and it wasn’t clogged, why did you decide to replace it with a steel one?
    I like your redneck tubing bender so you can avoid the ginks in the lines.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

mrlmd,

I didn’t like the fact that the copper line was rattling around in the tunnel and figured that if I was going to spend time trying to anchor it I might just go ahead and replace it with new. 

I also figured that since I had it all trimmed back to the frame I should replace key potential points of failure while I had the opportunity.

And finally, I had a slight concern that, over a period of time, tarnish from the copper line might give me carb trouble in the future.

I know that last one is a little obsessive but I can admit it openly and am ok with it 🙂

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Speaking of tarnish . . . the antique finish on those brake lines is impressive. While you are in there you might consider replacing them too. The car usually stops when a gas line springs a leak. It doesn’t stop when a brake line springs a leak.  

Now that you’ve had a look at it, are you really sure about that frame? It’s not too late to switch to something with more steel on it.

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Don’t let a few tell you its not too late.I was told you can’t convert a super to a standard without a front bulkhead conversion that nobody has seen.

Just look in my photo album.

I can do it if someone tells me it can’t be done.

Sounds like you have all the needed parts due any day.The rest is sheet metal repair,no biggy.

Just use my philosophy and build it like your life depends on it.

A little extra weight from some added steel and reinforcment won’t hurt nothing.I have some heavy floors and angle iron for the floor pans.

I just scaled the car today and only weighed 1650

U kin do it

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

I appreciate all the notes of caution and will proceed accordingly.

BDriver, those are the ebrake tubes you are looking at.  I already pulled the old brake lines and will be replacing them with something shiny and new. 

I’ve checked the movement on the ebrake lines and there is still life and flexibility in them.  However the handle needs rebuilding.  But I’m pretty sure I can get them in good working order.

Regarding the frame….I have discussed this with my professional welder son so many times he’s starting to roll his eyes now when I bring it up.

He assures me that he has a plan to shore up the cut out rust and in the end it will be stronger than it has to be.  I’ll be sure and have him drive over the first speed bump.

Regarding the frame head….IT’S BEING REPLACED TODAY!!  I’ll take pics along the way and share.

Thanks for the feed back…keep it up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.