Rich’s Ride

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Rich’s Ride

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi All,

I just joined and just purchased a 1988 FiberFab with a 2.8 liter V6, 4 spd manual. Car was garaged and had not been run for 7 years! Got it running, fixed a broken clutch cable, cleaned ‘er up a little and she’s ready to drive! Price was sinfully low. Take a look at the pics. Winter just started here in Mass, but looking forward to spring already.

Rich

RichBelfay39917.3731134259

Charles Niedzialkowski
    Participant

@chuckonwhidbey

Welcome Rich, she looks like a beauty. You will have so much fun, the work

will be but a labor of love !   Chuck N   

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the note. Having lots of fun already. Have you seen other TDs with a Ford V6? I’ve been checking and haven’t run into another one yet.

Happy New Year!

Rich

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Rich,

We have twins.

Picked mine up about a month ago still have some work to do on it.  Where in Ma, I’m on the northshore, Hamilton.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi Rob,

I’m in Dunstable, MA on the MA/Nashua, NH line.

Picked this up in NH just before Thanksgiving. It had a broken Clutch cable (now replaced) but other than that it just needed to be run. I drove it from Amherst NH to Dracut MA (about 40 miles) and it ran just fine. Tight squeeze getting in with the top up.

Small stuff to do like a few lights are out, horn doesn’t work. It’ll be ready to go long before all the snow melts.

Have a great New Year

Rich

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Welcome Rich…great find.

That basic 2.8L German Ford V6 came in the early European made Capri’s that were sold in the 1970’s thru Mercury dealers.

It’s still the same basic 60 degree V6 only a little bigger (3.0L) and of course many other improvements brought on in the OBD-I and OBD-II generation of vehicles.

We seem to be getting a lot of Northeast members lately…sounds like it’s almost time for a Spring or Summer get together?

Good Luck and Happy Trails!!!

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Hi,

Thanks for the note. Here’s another photo, with kind of a funny story. Pictured is Bob, the builder of the MG. Note the dust and the signature of “Jordan” on the fender. Jordan is Bob’s grandson who apparently only visits once a year. There were “Jordan 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006″autographs on the car. I guess 2007 was an off year and I snatched it away before he could get the ’08 done. Hood has no dust only because it was off and upside down on the roof since ’03.

Autographs have all since been removed … sorry Jordan!

Rich

RichBelfay39859.8458564815

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Rich,

Welcome aboard. And what a great find. I love that Jordan learned to spell his name between 2005 and 2006.

As for a spring get-together…I expect to see all these cars at Carlisle’s Kit Car show in May. Come on guys and gals. This show pulls people from all over…and my definition of all over is essentially  “east of the Mississippi.”

A dozen or so TD replicas woudl look great!!!!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Paul I have in-laws in Summit so be careful what you wish for 🙂

How far is Carlisle from New Providence?

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Carlisle is about 190 miles from me here at the NJ Shore, so I imagine Paul is about the same plus or minus 10 miles or so.

Because he’s farther north  in NJ, Paul’s route to Carlisle takes him west on I-78 to I-81.

I am almost in the exact center of NJ on the Atlantic coast. My route to Carlise is west on I-195 to US 1 to the PA Turnpike (I-76).

Carlisle is where I-76 and I-81 intersect. It’s about 3 hours for me.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

It takes me 2:30 to 2:45 from New Providence NJ to Carlisle PA.

Take a look at Carlisle Produciotns web site

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/index.asp

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Paul

Hmm.. From where I’m sitting 727 miles, 7.5 hours to Carlisle. I think I may have to miss that one. Sounds like a lot of fun though.

Rich

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Hi Rich

Welcome to the group.  Nice ride you got.  Glad it’s only got some small things that need work.

Whew, if you can drive an average 96.6mph you need a V6!!!

Seriously, I bet that V6 is a blast to run!

Have fun!

Ringo

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

My second TD was an untouched Ford based CMC kit that, except for the frame, was in a guy’s attic!

I started the build buying parts to build it as a 5.0L Cobra killer. I had a running donor Pinto, but decided what the heck…so I bought the stuff I wanted to use: Tubular M-II coil over front end and an 8″ Ford rear both with 11″ disc brake conversions, a 3.8L Buick V6 and a TH200R4, also both “tweaked” a little. The rear suspension was going to be 4 link with coil overs and I had a 16 gallon ATL fuel cell too. Of course it was getting a 4 point roll bar too. This was going to be a Go-Kart like screamer that got 30 mpg.

Sadly, I sold it as a “roller chassis” with the 2.3L four banger, the little 3 speed automatic and the 7″ rear, all from that ’75 Pinto donor. All but the Buick motor is getting reused in my 40 Ford Streetrod refurb.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

Minor repairs complete. All lights, horn, wiper working fine

Steering has been lubed and now works just fine. Now all that remains is buffing, polishing, removal of oxidation, and wait patiently for Spring. V6 seems to have sufficient power, but surprising that a 2.8 liter can only deliver 105 HP, but that’s what the book says.

Lots of Fun!

Rich

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

Some updated photos. Shinier and running great!

RichBelfay39859.6203587963

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

In case anybody is curious, my car is not registered. I just stuck my Dad’s old number plate (Antique 1032) in to fill in the space. The plate is from his 1927 Model T. Note that the last registration is dated 1973.

The model T is stored in the same garage as my MG. It had not run for about 15 years and I challenged my brother last fall to see if he could get it running. Fresh tank of gas and she started right up! He was even able to start it with the hand crank! The last of the “Tin Lizzies”

Rich

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Rich,  You’ve got her looking good . I love that red with red interior. Seeing all that snow makes me realize just how much some of our members go thru to keep up their interest in their cars during the winter and how good those of us who live in warmer areas have it by comparison. Hang in there,spring will be here soon.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Larry,

Thanks. Lived here all my life. The house behind the last picture is where I grew up. Actually a lot of the snow has melted in the last few weeks. Been a long time since I’ve seen this much. Can’t wait until spring!!

Rich

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Rich,

She sure cleaned up nice! The wind wings look great on the car.

Did you take her for her inaugural cruise around the neighborhood yet?

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Geoff,

Thanks for the compliments. The devil is in the details and there’s still lot’s of detailing to do!

Haven’t gone on any rides yet because it’s not registered/insured yet. Just ran it up and down the hill a few times. Runs really good. Smooth, quiet and plenty of zip.

Rich

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

Funny prologue to my refurb efforts. As I mentioned in my last post in February, I have been tweaking, replacing, repairing all through the winter and occasionally driving the car up and down the hill, never going to the top of the hill because the car is not registered.

About half way up the hill on the left is a house with two little girls around 5 years old, always smiling and waving at me.

Last week their mother called my mom and said the girls had come in all excited and concerned. They said “Mommy, that man keeps trying and trying over and over again, but his car just can’t make it all the way up the hill!”

It always amazes me how different the world looks through the eyes of children.

I also changed the title of this to Rich’s Ride, since I am no longer a NEW MEMBER.

Rich

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Hey Rich, That’s a neat story.We all could benefit from looking at things from a childs point of view ,so simple ,yet so profound.I believe there is always a bit of child left in us. It shows up in me every time I get in my MG replica. It takes me back to when a salesman at the MG dealership chased me out of the driver’s seat of a  new one when I was about 12 years old.I didn’t get my car till I was in my 50’s ,but the dream never went away.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

All,

This doesn’t qualify for the “first ride” string, but I has so much fun that I just had to yap about it.

My car is still not registered, but today I borrowed my brother’s repair plate so I could do a complete test drive.

Today in MA it is Sunny and ~ 70 degrees

I drove the car through all of my favorite back roads. Even let my wife drive it! I’d say I put about 50+ miles on. Lots of honks, thumb’s up and smiles as I drove it. The car runs AWESOME! The steering since the rag joint fix is perfect. Smooth, quiet and just plain fun.

I just (reluctantly) put ‘er back in storage and returned the plate. Man….warm air, sunshine, top down, radio blasting. Spring is here!!!

The next big thrill will be doing the same type of trip just after dark on a warm summer night. More fun to come!

Rich

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Rich,

Awesome. I was running the visuals in my mind as I was reading. Great times and I hope for many more for you guys. That is more mileage in one day than I have put on mine since I got her. . Be sure to show the girls you can make the hill .

Glad the steering is good, gives a good feeling when you can steer

James

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.