Rims

Home Forums General Discussion Rims

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

I’m headed to a New England wide swap meet next week. Looking for new rims or hubcaps for Ally. If its not too much trouble would anyone mind taking a picture of thier tires and rims. I’m torn Large white walls, Spokes, just caps, Beauty rings, I don’t know just like to see some others thoughts. This is what i have now. They don’t match and are beat up. 

gil goltz
    Participant

@sarge

Bought wire wheels just before christmas. This is the only picture I have.

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Richard, Ckeck out the members photo gallery and you will see a nice assortment of tire,wheel hubcap combinations.You can enlarge the pictures and see them up close. The wheels on Sarge’s car look real good ,I saw a set like them last summer and was impressed but I am not sure they are available in the VW bolt pattern. Any other real wire wheels are very expensive ,about $2000. Check my gallery,both the white and yellow cars have wire hubcaps from early Buick Riviaras. If you go this route it is necessary to cut a hole in the back of the hubcap to clear the rear axle nut.I made a lock assembly using 1 in. flat iron,a 5/16 bolt and a tri bar spinner with a MG emblem. I have less than $100. in each set.If you want to do this I will post pictures of my ”design” as these caps will not stay on without some type of lock. BTW, they are made of stainless steel so rust is not a problem.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Sarge,  Great wheels.  Do you mine giving the specifics,  size, cost, brand, etc.   Going to replace my basket wires soon.   Thanks Montie

gil goltz
    Participant

@sarge

Bought them from MG Magic, set of 5 for about $695. They have them for chevy and ford bolt patterns. Tire 205/65R14,tires are 7 inches wide. I used my old spinners because I didn’t like the ones that came with the rims. I thought about it for a long time before buying them, but my old rims were just completely rusted around the inside edge and didn’t do much for the looks of the car. I think the new rims are made by McClean not really sure.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

Thanks for all the replies. I am torn between a moon cap and trim rings on a black rim or a set of black spokes on a chrome rim. I did take some time (about two brown ones) and look at all the different ones you all have I’ve cut and pasted a collage. As you are all sitting in the cold wondering what to do next. Maybe you could play this game. It’s pretty simple. What tires go with who’s car? Who ever gets it first recieves a pint of real Vermont maple syrup. Good Luck.

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

I think I have a 4×130 bolt pattern and no offset. its a vw based car anyone know. They look like stock VW rims on there now. how do you measure them. It looks like 68 on has this patternRichard Wobby40187.6310300926

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

That collage is awesome Richard. Had a slow day today eh?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Ok .. I have looked at all the wheels , and have no guess to give ,,but I will say this , it matters not what wheel ,wire , steel , cast or a hub cap .as long as YOU like them  there are wire wheels on ebay for $349.00 and $130.00 shipping for chevy / ford  and universal fit at Wheels 4 you , in Evensdale Iowa …sorry I don’t have the phone number  ……Dan

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

I am biased towards my set-up but I do enjoy the spinners more than the caps and I think the wide white walls are my next purchase. Cool photo collage! 

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Wow, I didnt realize there so many options till I started researching.  Kinda over whelming, both in price and options.   geoff104, those a sharp!!!!! What are they?   Montie  

Know idea  on whos whos on the collage, but a great picture .

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

The collage is a great tool, good job.  Wheels make a statement that you don’t want to rush into.  I’ll keep my Daytons, but my tires bug me.

I took some time to photoshop so I could decide.  The current ones still have good tread.  By the time I replace them I hope I’ve made a decision

Current tires:

Later,
    Ringo

Ringo40188.8122453704

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

You have a beautiful car regardless of what you decide Ringo!

And I know it’s none of my business, but I vote for the blackwalls…the black body, black tires look great to me.
    PMOSSBERG40188.8703703704

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ringo, I agree with Paul.Black tires, black car and wire wheels get my vote. I have admired your car since the first time I saw it on the forum.

Rob Baker
    Participant

@robbaker

Did I win a six pack of Sam Adams

My rims are the second column third won down.

Rich I responded to your pm, great effort must be cold in Vermont stay warm and fight off that cabin fever

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Yeah, I’m thinking the blackwalls are the way to go.  I’ll probably change them next summer. 
    Now, back to my carb overhaul.

Later,

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Ringo, If your tires have some life left,why not put the white side to the inside? I know you must be extra careful with those wheels but it would give you an opportunity to see how you like them without a big investment.You can paint the white walls black with a spray bomb after you clean off the silicone or what ever you use to make them shine. Here I go again offering a ”cheap” way out.I know it works cause I did it on my yellow car.

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I’ll have to agree with the rest, the black wall would be my choice too.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I was going to write what Larry wrote. No shame in turning the tires around whitewall side-in. We did that with the old white letter tires in the ’80s when those went out of style. 

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Ringo…Black sidewalls look the best IMO.

Rich…whatever wheels you decide on, I suggest that you stick with the 4 x 130mm bolt pattern and not use wheel adpaters.

However, you can buy VW brake rotors and drums in the Ford (5 x 4.5″), Chevy (5 x 4.75″) patterns and undrilled “BLANK” rotors and drums too.

Not sure if these use wheel studs or you have to find 1/2″ x 20 or 7/16″ x 20 wheel bolts (as opposed to nuts). They might drill them metric (14mm) though, so the longer VW lugs that are used with the “EMPI 8 Spokes” can be used.

I always liked the stock VW wheels and the flat, Porsche style hub caps with an MG hexagon logo in the center.

Most of the wires made today are made by Dayton Wire Wheels…for the low-rider crowd. They are not the older style wires like used on British sports cars. CRAGAR used to make a wire called a Tru-Spoke, but they are discontinued for years.

Pink MG40192.3932407407

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

As you can tell from my car, I also prefer the steel wheel with an MG style hubcap. And wires were never a factory option for the original MG TD.

But to each his own! And for those looking for wires, Truspoke also makes them. The wheels on this page may fit Ford or Checy bolt patterns:

http://www.truespoke.net/Truespokesizes.html

I also had some conversations with Truspoke about wire wheels for the VW bolt pattern. Please refer to this thread:

https://tdreplica.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=718&K W=wire+wheels

Paul Mossberg

Richard Wobby
    Participant

@richard-wobby

I’m thinking the flat style caps and a trim ring. Probably a black rim. I’m just thinking simple. This is going to be a fun daily driver. Spokes seem like a lot of maintenance.  I’m thinking wipe on wash off.   

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

WOW!!!…the Truspoke wheels are cheap too…only $400 each for 4. 

For your trunk mounted spare, you’d need 5th. I’d have to drink a 5th to pay that much for wheels.

I am soon going to start on a Volksrod project. It uses a transverse front leaf spring, straight axle, “hairpin” radius rods, etc. like a ’23 “T-Bucket”. Speedway Motors makes a kit for the front end.

For the stock VW rear end, I’ll use some re-drilled Ford bolt pattern drums or rotors to match the front rotor/hub bolt pattern.

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Those real wire wheels are both real pretty, which came from MG Magic? Never know I might hit Lotto.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.