Running Progress Report

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Running Progress Report

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Make sure you’ve got spark to all four jugs. Pull the plugs after a run & see that they aren’t fouled. Time it 20-30 degrees BTDC at 3000 rpm, then try again.

Once you get your sparks in order, then and only then start looking at your carb. It will need adjustment too.

The muffler? Good question. If it’s old you might just replace it. Could be full of mouse nests, mice, mouse poop… who knows?

Maybe at least take it off and blow air through it and test the flow.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Rocky.  I know nothing about the automatic and also know nothing about the Weber carb.  

However, I am curious as to why you think that your lack of power may have something to do with the muffler.  I once had a critter decide that the muffler was a nice place for a home and it will act as you describe.  
    But, you really need to go through the steps:  Valves (.006″), plugs (.028″), points set (.016″), Timing 30 before TDC@ 3500, and then last do your carb.  It is important to do these in order.  
    For a 009 distributor, you may find that your centrifugal advance is not advancing at all.  If you take the cap off and try to move the rotor in the clockwise direction will it move?  Only about 3/8″ or so.  And when you release it, do the springs move the rotor back to it’s original position?  If not, then your centrifugal advance is not really advancing.  You can also check this with a timing light. Put your light on the mark at idle. Then bring engine speed up and you should be able to watch the timing advance, and even though it is probably set to about 10 before TDC at idle, it should go all the way up to about 30 before TDC at abt 3000rpm or certainly by 3500 rpm. If the timing advances as engine speed is increased, the dist is probably ok.
    Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Kent,  I have heard the same thing about the weber carbs.  I think I have a guy in town who can help me properly dial it in and I’m going to give him a call today.

But to Ed’s point I will focus on the timing and spark first.  I’ve confirmed spark at the plug but and getting black carbon deposits on all 4.  Indicative of the mix being too lean.  But again, before I make any more adjustments to the carb I’ll get the timing set right.

I went ahead and ordered a new muffler since it only cost about $100 and pay day is Friday.  I figured I would just eliminate that as a potential up front so as not to wonder about it any more.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Very helpful.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Rocky, If you have black deposits you are too rich, not too lean.  But do the other stuff first and check your advance as my earlier comment.  

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sorry, I logged out too quickly.  If your plugs are sooty at idle, this is not really as important as what they look like at speed (assuming they are not too sooty).  You really need to get the car up to speed 45+/- mph and kill the ignition.  Coast to a stop and pull a plug or two.  This will give you an estimate of how your carb is performing.  I don’t mean to imply that idle carbon build up isn’t important but that doesn’t seem to be your problem right now.  

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Roy, thanks for catching my error.  You are correct and that’s what I meant to say…it is running too rich.

I checked the distributor and the points last night.  Made a  slight adjustment on the points and the distributor was fine.

I will check/set the timing tonight and do the valve adjustment before/by the weekend.  Then I will see if I still have the problem.

If I do I will make some adjustments to the carb.  If that doesn’t bring it to life I will take it to my local expert.

Thanks

rockyx2013-03-27 10:21:29

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Rocky, you want to take the air cleaner off and verify that:

1.  Your choke is completely open when warm.
    2.  The throttle butterfly is completely open when you step on the gas pedal (at the pedal, not the carb.  This is a 2 “man” job.)
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Kent T et All,

Those MG Hubcap Medallions that you got on eBay are the exact ones I just got in from MG Magic. They have a self-adhesive backing and fit the “smoothie” hubcaps I have like a glove.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Reset the points and advanced the timing slightly and BAM…the car now has punch.

I still need to do the valve adjustment and tune in the carb and that, along with the new muffler, should put me in the fast lane….literally.

Zipped around my small town back roads and I’m loving this car!  Cannot wait for my first road trip.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

yeah, man!

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Way cool.   I wouldn’t put off the valve adjustment.  If they are too tight, you might burn one.  

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Rocky,

Glad to hear!  Until you can get the carb dialed in, be sensitive to watching engine temps and listening for valve rattle/pinging, especially under load.  Either could be a sign of too much total spark advance…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Valve adjustment done…retouched the timing…running with pep.

However, I now hear a “pecking” sound in the engine.  I had one lifter that was loose and very slightly slide back and forth so I’m assuming that’s what it is.  Should I be concerned?

I think I’ve gotten everything as tuned in as I can so I’m putting some confidence miles on her and will eventually have an expert dial it all in.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

pushrod, you mean?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Rocky, I too, like Ed, am a bit confused about what you are talking about.  Are you saying that the pushrod moves sideways (ie towards the front and the rear of the car)?  Or are you talking about the rocker arms.  It is more likely that you are talking about the rocker arms and that would possibly mean that one or more of your (I think that they are called wavy) washers which take up the slack is broken or missing.  If so, it is relatively easy to fix by taking the whole rocker assembly off and replacing the washers and spacers.    (While you have the rocker assembly off, you ought to check the torque of the head bolts which are only accessible with the rocker off.)   Then re-install and reset the valve clearance.

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Sorry guys..I’m referring to the rocker arm.  I guess I spent a little too much time in the garage and typed my note before getting enough carbs in me.

Roy, I think what you described is exactly the problem.  I will set some time to do the repair.

Otherwise it’s running great..or at least I think it is.  Since I’ve never had a VW before I don’t really know.  I plan on taking it to the local expert in the next week and paying him to dial it all in and let me know if there is anything I need to address.

Until then I’m driving a little checking everything…driving a little and checking everything and so on.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hmmm…until you get it dialed in, you are experiencing life with an original MG.

Drive a little…check ALOT
    Drive a little…check ALOT
    Repeat ad naseum….

Once you are dialed in it will be drive ALOT, check a little.

Adjust the valves and change the oil every 3,000 miles and you’re good to go!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Had a great time at the unveiling!  The Tavern blocked their small little parking lot and I parked in front.  It was right off main street and folks strolled by oooing and aaawwing all night.  I even had a Lincoln dealer stop by who went on about how great it looked.

That little car sure gets lots of attention.

Now more confidence miles.

rockyx2013-03-31 13:20:43

sreynolds
    Participant

@sreynolds

Fantastic job! I can see why everybody liked it.

Sam
    Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Well, I think it’s time to call the build season to a formal close.

I started the project on September 2, 2011 and officially ended it when I registered it and got plates on March 22, 2013.  568 days…or…1 year 6 months 20 days.

I remember telling my wife that I should be done in about 6 months.  How naive.  She was so patient and even acted interested when I would describe my progressive successes and frustrating failures.  What a gal.

I know I still have more to do like the convertible top, get all the gauges working properly, clean up some wiring issues, replace the muffler and speedometer cable.  But I’m on the road now so technically the build is over.

It was a wonderful experience.  One that I’ll probably never do again but will brag about for years to come. 

Thanks to all my forum friends.  I really could not have done it without you. 

I’m still scheduled to be in LA during Carlisle but I’ve got next years event on my calendar and should have plenty of confidence miles on her by then to make the trek.

Look for coming updates in the general or VW section.   But it’s time to say goodbye to the “My Project” updates.

rockyx2013-03-31 16:07:21

Royal
    Participant

@royal

If you’ll allow me to express an admittedly selfish opinion, it’s kinda sad.  Like finishing a really good book.  I have enjoyed your progress reports.  Congratulations, and thank you!

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Looking great …

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Excellent job Rocky. You have inspired the rest of us builders. I hope to be where you are in completion in time for Carlisle. And if not it won’t be but a few months past. Congradulations on a really great build.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Is it acceptable to be envious? A hardy congratulations to all of the work and accomplishments; work which I am at the bottom of the mountain and looking up at right now.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Wonderful job, it looks great. Happy Motoring!

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.