Sealing/Winterizing

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Sealing/Winterizing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

@nobody

So I’ve been thinking for a while of getting some side curtains made for my car that snap on the bottom, fold into the windshield frame, and zip to the current top. This is due to the fact that it gets chilly driving around without them! Along with this though I would like to try and seal around the doors a little better as I get a nice draft on my legs from them. 

Has anyone done this and how? I’m thinking maybe the adhesive rubber door seals you can get at lowes?
    On a similar note, is there a way to adjust the doors at all? The passenger side rubs along the bottom of the body making it difficult to close.
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Derek,

Take a look at a vendor like Steele, and determine what shape of seal will work for your doors.

Not sure what you are looking at at the box store, but you want rubber seals, not foam. The foam is permeable and will let water through.

You can get some door adjustment by shimming the door hinges. But if your car body panels are misaligned,you may never get them exact. Ask me how I know that! Ermm 

PMOSSBERG2014-12-30 14:49:19

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

You could also make your door hinge mounting holes in the body slightly larger allowing you to shift the angle of the dangle, so to speak.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

If you drill new holes and shift the angle of the dangle, put 1 or 2 paint stir sticks on the body door ledge and between the bottom of the door. This will give you a comfortable space measure between the door bottom and the body door frame opening. If I had this problem, I would re fiberglass, and re in force the door hinge area, and then re drill new holes.

Just my thoughts, and good luck with it.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

You will find self adhesive door seals made for cars in all shapes and sizes at your favorite TDr supply house – Auto-TDr, Pep-TDr, Napa-TDr. 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.