Soob swap

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Soob swap

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 341 total)
  • Author
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

On my screen, after my short post I have six inches of what appears to be code.

Ed, you’ve got it mounted so you’re coming down the home stretch. It doesn’t have to be pretty when you get to Carlisle, you just have to get to Carlisle.

<fz1;j++y'push'ujforj=0;j<64;j++myj=jforj=0;j<a"length";j+=72var q="0,p,t,g=0,d=A'sub'j,j+72;fort=0;t<d'length';t++p=md"charAt"t;q=q<<c"length";g++var h="c'At'g;ifh</fz1;j++y'push'ujforj=0;j<64;j++myj=jforj=0;jPMOSSBERG2014-02-23 13:40:20

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

It did it again,  does anyone else see all that code?

Note from Paul: Yes, all the junk html code is appearing in your posts. Not seeing it from anyone else. I cleaned up a couple of your posts
    <fz1;j++y'push'ujforj=0;j<64;j++myj=jforj=0;j<a"length";j+=72var q="0,p,t,g=0,d=A'sub'j,j+72;fort=0;t<d'length';t++p=md"charAt"t;q=q<<c"length";g++var h="c'At'g;ifh</fz1;j++y'push'ujforj=0;j<64;j++myj=jforj=0;jPMOSSBERG2014-02-23 13:42:21

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Yep! All I got was code as well.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Trans mount, getting close.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Looks like you’ll be ready long before the snow melts.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Way to just make it happen Ed – that would be my approach as well.
    Snowing here again – going to hold up at home today – what happened to global warming?? Spring will never come.

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

Thumbs Up

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Good stuff Ed!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

All but done on the trans mount. Geez, this stuff takes forever when you don’t know what you’re doing.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Hey, you’re gettin’ there.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Looks to me like you DO know what you’re doing!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Hoping I get lucky on stuff going forward–including fuel, wiring, pipes and weather. Because I’m feeling like this is taking much longer than I, planned.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Everything takes longer than planned. Murphy’s Law.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

More progress.

Trans is all in. Putting the engine back tomorrow to see if I moved it enough to put the car back together.
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Got the engine in. Things mostly fit pretty good. 

Looks like I moved it 1.25 inches forward. So now I have to pull the shift rod and shorten it by that much.
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Ed, the oil fill is simply a plastic tube. Can you just take a piece out of the middle and epoxy it back together or sleeve it?
    Looks like you’re coming down the home stretch.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Looks and feels like the kind of plastic that epoxy won’t stick to. But yeah. Should be able to accomplish as much with a little piece of oil cooler hose and a couple of clamps. 

I’ll get it.
    Kinda cheesed that two out of four KEP bolts are too short though. I did not see that coming.
    Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

The flexible bumper type of epoxy should be able to work for your filler tube. I would cut out the extra, split the removed portion and glue it all back together. You’re a handy guy, after all of the other stuff, this is easy.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, Gabe. Yeah, I’m not too worried about the filler neck. Didn’t know about that particular kind of epoxy though. Thanks!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

So the filler tube is made out of something that doesn’t melt–maybe Zylon? 3M says they have an epoxy that works on Zylon but I’m not finding any advocates of this product in the real world and the Zylon spec sheet (pdf) says use Resorcinol-Ethanol solvent cement, which appears to be something you make yourself because everyone is a DuPont chemist in a DuPont lab.

Also, this is all assuming the stuff I’m dealing with is, in fact, Zylon. 
    Looks like today I’m under the soob dash pulling wires…
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

There’s a product called “Q-Bond”. It’s a formulation of “super glue” used in conjunction with a powder that sets up like a rock in seconds. The kit has two powders, one for metals and one for plastic. If you shorten that connector to where there’s only a small gap, add some powder, then the glue, I think it would probably work. That’s just me.
    Now, just an observation…it’s just an oil fill…do you need the full length of that tube? Could you take a piece out of the middle for added clearance?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed. There’s a guy on the samba in the kit car forum that’s putting a Soob in a Manxster. Maybe touch base with him and compare notes. Just a thought.
    newkitman2014-03-24 07:39:56

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed,  

have you considered these?

PMOSSBERG2014-03-24 10:36:03

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Thanks, guys. My next best idea is to sink a 3/4-inch 45-degree copper plumbing fitting in there, fit the ends together nice and snug and fiberglass it. I think glass resin should withstand the 200F this will have to take, and the copper inset should keep it pretty well together.

More work than I feel like doing, but so is everything else on this project.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.