Sound deadening

Home Forums General Discussion Sound deadening

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hubert Atkinson
    Participant

@baytowntd

Got all the interior stripped out, and most of the old VW “tar paper” came out in crumbles.  The only thing on the fiberglass was the old carpet.  I assume there is something better…. So, has anybody recommendations on what material to use?  I took a brief “google look” at various brands, and they all seemed a bit pricey to me.  Maybe thats just the material, I really don’t have a clue.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I used some closed-cell foam floor mats from one of the home stores–the kind that come in 18-inch squares but with puzzle-piece edges so you can snap them together–as carpet padding and bought a roll of black marine carpeting from Home Despot–about $130, delievered, and enough to do 3-4 TDrs. The black low pile is not too far from what Abingdon installed in the originals.

Also made a few extra interior panel pieces to replace some of the kit carpet–again, going for a more authentic look. The marine grade vinyl came from Beacon fabric and notions in Florida. They’re a small outfit and are very good to deal with. The material was acceptable to the pro I hired to make my door panels.

Here is the interior panel story.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I agree that the sound deadening mats seem VERY expensive for what they are….

Closed-cell foam, such as you see used for yoga mats or sleeping bag pads would work almost as well.  That stuff, while still expensive, is much more affordable.  For example, you can get half-inch thick rolls from this vendor for $25.45 per square yard, or quarter-inch for $10.60 a square yard.
    Note that I haven’t really price shopped this stuff, nor am I recommending this vendor….
    I used it once for insulating the inside of a VW bug that I restored, gluing it to the underside of the roof, inside the doors and side panels, etc.  It’s light weight, trims easily with scissors or a box cutter, and doesn’t absorb and hold moisture like open-cell foam does…
    It will deteriorate over time if exposed to light… so it must be covered.

KentT2014-02-19 19:00:16

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.