Splash Pan Fit

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Splash Pan Fit

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

The last hurdle for my TD is the splash pan. When you install the splash pan the forward lip bolts to the vertical piece of the body tub. Mine is an inch short. Been thinking about a remedy and at the moment my options appear to be:

1.  Wait until I install the engine to see if I need to shorten the metal brace an inch on both sides, cut and re-weld.
    2.  Add some fiberglass pieces to fill the gap on each side so the splash pan bolts to the body like its supposed to.
    3.  Leave it as is and not worry about it.

If anyone has any other options, please chime in.

Oh! My kit is a late Fiberfab/CMC kit.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

My Duchess went together differently.

But from what you’ve described, I vote for #1 for now.

How do the splash pan and engine cover line up? Have you test fit that?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

What holds that square tube subframe to the car? Mine is clamped to the frame horns and, theoretically, could be slid fore and aft a bit if needed. My splash pan sits on it and bolts through–top to bottom and in the back, where the bumper bolts through to two tabs of angle iron that come off the back of the square tube.

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

Mine is a Ford based late FiberFab and I had the same problem. The splash pan came a little over one inch short of reaching the tub (body) when fully forward and against the bumper mounts. With the rear cover in place against both the tub and spash pan, there was also a gap where the rear cover didn’t cover the cutout in the splash pan.

The the frame extension to bumper mounts is a welded assembly with no provision for adjustment. I decided to shorten the bumper mounts by cutting out a section of the tube and rewelding to obtain the length that allowed a good fit of tub, rear cover and splash pan. I guess that means the car is about 1 1/4″ shorter than intended.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Ed. Mine fits like yours and has a small gap (about an inch). I don’t have the engine build complete as yet so its not installed. Neither is the rear engine cover or splash pan. I’ll take a couple of pictures of as it sits and the gap when I raise the tube subframe tomorrow after work.

Allen Caron

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Mine is an early Fiberfab and the splashpan also does not reach the back of the tub.  I’ll likely use a piece of aluminum to bridge the gap, when I also try to modify the splashpan to fit the engine tin at the rear of the car.  My splashpan has angular sides and does not match the curve of the VW engine tin at all…

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

The bottom of the engine cover rests flush with the splash pan. I don’t imaging the space will be all that noticeable with the rear fenders and welting installed but still feel the splash pan has to be connected to the body. I kept the fiberglass that was cut out for the gas tank. That is more than enough to make some filler pieces to fit between the body and splash pan. I’ll keep you posted.

Allen Caron

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen,

That “gap” could be intentional. On an original TD, the splash pan ends and there is a bit of a gap.

PMOSSBERG2014-04-01 10:07:08

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul,

That could very well be. On an original TD, the splash pan looks to be supporting the bottom of the petrol tank. On our TDrs, the splash pan appears to allow the engine cover to rest on it. I’ll do some pondering…(ponder, ponder, ponder). After a proliferation of pondering (whew) I will stick close to original and leave the gap. Now where did I leave my pint o beer and my sandals?

newkitman2014-04-01 12:22:22

Allen Caron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.