Steering Wheel and adapter kit

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars My Project Steering Wheel and adapter kit

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Sweeney
    Participant

@frdcop212

I just purchased a Classic Motor Carriages kit that was still in the crate and sitting for over 20 years. I need information on an aftermarket wood steering wheel and adapter kit. What wheel size would look the best and what manufacture would also have a proper adapter kit for a Chevy Chevette. 

Thanks for the help
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Frdcop212: Welcome to the Forum and the club. MG Magic is a parts supplier for our cars. They list a steering wheel for the Chevy kit. Grant Steering wheels is another place to look. Auto Zone  or any parts house can get the steering wheels.

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi FRD. Welcome to a great resource and a whole lot of skilled knowledgeable people.

John the Brit

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Welcome FRD
    Another place to look is Forever Sharp Steering Wheels fssteeringwheels.com they have some cool designs and sizes to choose from. Remember that our cars dont have much space so you might want to choose a 14 inch wheel over the 15 inch for just a little more room to get in and out of the car with.
    Also make sure that your steering shaft has a collapsable union in case youre in an accident and your chest hits the wheel. The union will obsorb some of the impact and it might save your life. I have a VW kit and mine looks like a woven steel basket union. My mechanic told me to keep it on when I replaced my steering column with a steering shaft.
    Good luck with the build and keep us updated with your progress.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome aboard FRD. Another source is Flat 4 (may be spelled Flat Four) for an authentic looking steering wheel.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Depending on your dash Grant makes several nice ones. This is my current wheel.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

I also have a Chevette based kit. The Grant 14 inch wheel pictured is the same one I use. It’s screw holes line up pretty well with the hub from the Chevette. No adapter necessary. Can’t remember if I ordered it to fit or it is universal. However, I am looking for a 15 inch maybe a little more like the banjo types I have seen on originals. The 14 inch tends to block your line of sight to the tach and speedo. I can only imagine the fun of getting an original MG steering wheel to adapt to a Chevette hub. Has anyone attempted this ?

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Don’t think anyone has attempted. Just to know: the MG hub is a small spline shaft, certainly on some oddball British standard. The way to adapt it, I think, would be a hog-out and weld (or epoxy)-in method using whatever spline pipe you salvaged out of an original Chevette steering wheel.

The other way would be to buy an original TD wheel with the hub damaged or missing. Then clamp the banjo spokes in an aluminum plate sandwich with the correct hub spline milled into the center.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

here’s a start  I love my  banjo wheel –

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I like the look of the Forever sharp banjo wheel with the flaired rods and the oblong rings in thek middle. Not MG authentic but looks pretty cool.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

I was not happy with fat, modern-looking Chevette steering column. So I built a upper carrier and took the splined hub from the Chevette and built an adapter. Basically I cut a circle out of steel and bolted to the hub on one side and to the steering wheel on the other.

So now I’m looking for an brass acorn nut for the shaft.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

doug schmidt
    Participant

@dougsgarage

The slim look of the steering shaft is definitely better. Just one question, where did you put the t/signal switch ?

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Now I have to tell

I made a dash-mount similar to the MG style.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Ignition went to the center below the radio.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Very nice.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

I like the thinner shaft better too. It looks better than my old VW steering column. My old one looked bad and was a hastle to get the key in the ignition switch. I changed everything and im so glad I did.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I’m thinking a FWD axle boot as a cover. The large end to fill the gap at the dash

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Marilou
    Participant

@maricar19

Hi John,

I have a 1952 Mg TD (London Roadster) replica. It is a pain to put in the key in the ignition since it is blocked by the steering wheel. Was it hard to have the ignition relocated to the dashboard?

Thanks, MC

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.