Storage Wars — what do to with too many cars

Home Forums General Discussion Storage Wars — what do to with too many cars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey folks,

I’m running into a car collector’s worst nightmare — too many cars and not enough garage space.  Last year, I purchased a white 10′ x 20′ “car awning” from Harbor Freight, set it up over the grass behind my existing 12 x 16 shed, and parked Emma the TDR and Merlin the Bugeye Sprite under it.  It turns out that the idea was more sound than the awning.  Even with as little snow as we get down here in New Bern, NC, the awning accumulated more than its fair share over the winter and the top rails started to sag causing the awning to collect not just snow in winter but rain pockets all year long…and the grass and weeds kept inching toward the cars underbelly.
    So I just purchased a 10′ x 17′ “portable garage” from harbor freight and several (4) 1000# bags of gravel from Lowe’s and voila!! a place of Emma to spend the winter and by cleaning out a corner of the shed gave me a place for the bug eye to winter. 
     Kept the white awning for now, but am probably going to get another $179 portable garage and extend the existing one to 20′ x 17′ and finally put the bent and broken white awning out of its misery….
    So I highly recommend the Harbor Freight portable garage, especially when its on sale for that $179 price.  IT seems much better constructed than the white awning — heftier pipes and more legs…
    front zips open — I added a 10′ length of 3/4″ PVC pipe to the door to make rolling it up easier and also helps hold down the door and helps prevent billowing and slapping.
    wind buffeting the back cover was causing some abrading on the bottom edge– added a rope cradle inside and outside to capture the cover and added some “swimming noodles” (($1.99 each from Lowes on fall closeout) and a 10′ piece of 3/4″ PVC to the bottom to help with the bottom edge abrasion and seal the bottom edge to the gravel 
    …Maybe one of these portable garages set up in an unused Iand unseen from the road???) corner of your yard will help with the ongoing storage wars being fought daily by avid car collectors…. 
    A big thanks to Royal for help with erecting the portable garage and also for the suggestions to use the rope cradle and the noodles on the back bottom edge.
    Jack
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Jack. I’ve had one for two years and it finally succumbed to the harsh sun and wind here in middle Georgia last week. Getting another one Saturday as I don’t have a carport or garage…just a fenced in back yard. I also used the pvc pipe to roll up the zippered entrance. I’ll probably cut my verticals down so its only 6 1/2 feet tall in the center and won’t stick up above my fence too much.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

…I thought about cutting the verticals down since our little cars don’t really need all of that “headroom” — but then I’d have to deal with what to do with the extra covering material on all sides, so I left it tall and proud….!!!!  So far, no complaints from the neighbors — yet

Dave B.
    Participant

@dave-b

Jack,
    I’m not sure whether I’d posted this picture before but here’s how I handled my space issue.  The building inspector insisted on a support for the stairs and I made sure the contractor installed the support far enough to the right to leave me just enough room to park the TD (with a bit of maneuvering)  and still be able to open the man door.
    -Dave

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Dave,

GREAT solution….as I said before, we DTr’s are a pretty ingenious lot…..!!!!
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Speaking of geniuses in the club, can anyone tell me how to turn my iPhone sideways pictures so that they post in the correct orientation?  Paul, Ed, Bill?????  Am I missing a simple solution????

Derek
    Participant

@nobody

So long as you have the latest software, you will open up your photos app, select the photo you want to rotate, then tap “edit” then the “crop” button (which looks like to intersecting angles) and then there is a rotate button (a square with a curved arrow)
    Nobody2014-10-30 18:52:38

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

Shoot. I thought that the idea of storing the cars on edge was very clever.
    😆

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Great Line Kall — made my day — still laughing….too bad the gas & oil would leak out if I tried to store them sideways, huh?

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

No problem with parking here

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.