Taillight Wire Routing

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Taillight Wire Routing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I tried this in the Search Engine and came up empty. Where do you folks route the taillight wires? Thought an extra hole in the fender to tub mount? Along the splash pan horizontal mount? Could ask the same for the front parking lights but I have one extra smaller hole to run the wires to the park/turn signal lights. Thanks all.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Classic Roadsters Ltd provided a rear harness, that runs through the lower body tub, exiting into the engine compartment. From there, the taillight wiring runs through a small hole through the side wall into the rear fender well. I can take a couple pictures if that would help.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

I posted this three years ago when I was working on that stage of my TDr:

“IMHO:A basic problem on my FF was that both front and rear lights wiring ran loose and unprotected on the underside of the fenders to the connection point with the lights. I decided that this was a potential problem because the connections could vibrate loose or in the event of a tire tread loss the wiring might be ripped off, compounding your problems.I used some semi-rigid plastic tubing to arc the wires up under the fender and away from the tires (tyres?) as much as possible. It’s probably also good to allow a small slack loop so you can lift up the light assemblies for service.Just my 2 cents.”

I believe that someone also posted that one TDr manufacturer had moulded-in channels on the inside of the fender to route and protect the wires.

No photos at this time but I will take some if anyone is interested. 🙂

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul. That is how the harness I made is run; out the body tub into the engine compartment and along the rear valance horizontal mount, then to the fender well. Like Kall, I’m nervous about the wires being near the spinning tire. I was thinking of glassing in the wires to protect them as I think the tail light wires may be far enough from the tire. I’ll check tomorrow.

Thanks you guys.

Allen Caron

Toller
    Participant

@toller

Original routing of wiring on my FF was electrical tape about every 6″ and then routing the bundle of wires through “c” clamps wherever a bolt held body panels to the chassis. I got rid of tape and put the wires is corrugated split wire loom and then used tywraps to secure the loom to the chassis/body.

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Toller
    Participant

@toller

I would not recommend glassing in wires because some guy named Murphy will come for a visit and you have some reason to replace or adding another wire to the bundle

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Hmm. Good thought. Murphy does seem to stick his neck where it doesn’t belong.

Allen Caron

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ve not heard of anyone having a problem with the taillight wiring this way. A split loom taped with electrical tape should be fine. My car just has the tape. The tire is way ahead of it. The tail light has a rubber cup behind it, in the fender well, that the wire passes through. Keeps out the gunk the tire throws up–so far, anyway.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen, I promised pictures. Hope this helps.

Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 0 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 2   Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 1 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 3 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 4 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 5 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 6 Duchess VW Rear Wiring Harness 7

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks for the photos Paul. They really helped me and I’m sure others will benefit from them.

Allen Caron

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

If you want a waterproof boot for over the lamp socket, the distributor end of a spark plug wire will fit over it.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks Bill. My kit came with the waterproof boots.

Allen Caron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.