TD Data Plates

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits TD Data Plates

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’ve seen pictures of the trunk area of MGTDs and there are a couplw od data plates with serial numbers, VIN etc. None with mine and just wondering if they can be ordered and where the kit number is located. On the box of parts with the instruments in it, the number FM-1876 is handwritten below the adress lable of the original owner. Could this be the kit serial number? On the fiber glass parts there are numbers scribed that I think are the particular liece part numbe but I could be wrong. I have another question but I’ll post that in another thread.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Allen,

Doubtful. The manufacturers are long gone. So getting a serial number plate form them is not an option. And I doubt MG Magic would have anything like that.

Hopefully somebody with a Fiberfab will chime in, but FM-1876 sure sounds like some sort of serial number.

Just a thought, you can get blank serial number plates that replicate those from an original MG TD. You might want to do that!

PMOSSBERG40417.6756365741

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Newkitman,  just saw your post. I have a fiberfab and Paul was right about that number being the serial number. I have a brass tag about 3 x 4 inches on mine mounted to the dash by the original builder. I suspect it should have been mounted to the firewall. The tag reads:  MD TD REPLICA…Fiberfab International …. Minneapolis MN….then there is a small box with the words identification number above it. Thats where your FM-1876 would have been engraved.

Mike 

Dan Rosa
    Participant

@dan-r

Allen  you have A VW based kit did you get a title with the pan? Dan

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If I were you I’d get PN 408-580 (item 75) on this page and put my serial number and Fiberfab MFG ID on that.

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

Not too long ago the Fiberfab web page had an area for ordering a new brass plate.   I would call them to see if they still have some —

The President of the new Fiberfab is very helpful — but does not have old records and can not replace MSOs.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Mike the info you posted will help me when I fill out the data tag which, sadly, I did not get with the kit.

Dan I didn’t get a pan/chassis with the kit. It was new, still wrapped, and had a lot of boxes. I’m keeping an eye out for a good chassis/pan in the middle Georgia area. Still need to contact the sell to get a bill of sale which, in my excitement, failed to get when I left his place with the kit. I’ll most likely get a 70 bug in fair condition. I’ll need the chassis, data plate, wiper motor assembly gas tank, etc, etc, etc.

Ed I just ordered all three of those tags.

Bill you’re the second person to mention an  MSO. Clue me in…what the heck is an MSO?

Allen Caron

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Might be one of these….
    A. Manufacturers Statement of Origin or
    B. Medical Second Opinion or
    C. Morale Support Officer

The good folks in this group are C, but this may be A perhaps? Maybe B should be Mechanical Second Opinion,,,,,

JasCochran40431.9787384259

Bill Stuck
    Participant

@billsflorida

Allen,  The MSO is the Certificate of Origin from the Manufacturer of the kit, or frame, ….    Fiberfab did issue MSOs when their kits were sold—however many of the kits that have sat around ( like yours and mine) do not have the MSO with them anymore.   For Florida — that means NO TITLE WITHOUT A COURT ORDER.  I have checked with a Florida lawyer that deals with these things and he has told me the formate that the filings have to be in — and recommended that I file myself ( and save the fee) .  So I will be filing — next week or so.

I have checked in Georgia ( I have relatives in Georgia – and was going to give it to one of them to register) –and found that they also list the MSO as a required document.  But I also called one of the inspectors that work for the State –He ( Nigel Healey –404 925 7728 ) was very helpful and gave me the details about the inspection process.  Then I told him that I did not have the MSO –he said that Georgia may require that I get a Surety Bond ( about $100-150), but he said that it could be registered.  I recommend that you give him a call when you have all of the other paperwork in place — ( on the web http://www.motor.etax.dor.ga.gov  –get MV-1, T-129, T-22R, MV-100 are the ones that I found that apply)  —

Good luck

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bill,
    Thanks a ton. I’m still getting the Bill of Sale for the Kit from the person I purchased it from. Next will be the VW Chassis. The folks with dune buggies around here just register the car as a VW Dune Buggy and use the VIN plate and VIN number on the chassis to register the car. I’m going to check tomorrow with a lady in the DMV I know and see if I can’t go that route. Plus GA does not require a title for vehicles older than 1985 so if I get a 70 Bug for the chassis I should be able to register it as a 1970 Beetle with the VIN from the Beetle. But I’ll check both ways. And I’ll give that guy a call as well.

Any chance that the Fiberfab folks could issue a new MSO if I gave them the PN and Serial numbers from my Kit? Just thinking out loud.

Allen Caron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.