Throttle cable

Home Forums Picture Gallery TD Replicas Throttle cable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anay
    Participant

@anayb

Hey guys,

Took Marty out for a drive today, and random – the accelerator pedal pulled the throttle wire right from the car. I went to go fix it, but I guess the screw was old, and actually broke. Good news it broke while attaching to the throttle wore so I was able to make some adjustments and make it home. Bad news is that it’s definitely stuck and I’d want to replace the throttle screw that attaches the accelerator wire to the carb…

Help – anyone know

1) how to replace if the screw is broken in there?
    2) how to perhaps get a new attachment that holds the throttle wire in place?

Anay

Anay
    Participant

@anayb

FYI,
    71, 1600 VW Engine with a solex H30/31 carb

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Picture would help. On my car the cable passes through a 1/4″ aluminum sleeve about 2″ long, and is secured with a screw through that. The sleeve then attaches to the carb with a ball joint, and thus the whole sleeve moves when you press the accelerator.. I would think NAPA should be able to get you a similar setup.

Anay
    Participant

@anayb

Same setup! Do you know how I could get that from NAPA? I’m a total newbie to this!

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Im pretty sure Ive seen that part at MG Magic as well. I have the same set up on my car. The throttle cable should slide into the new end and fasten with a set screw. Then the long end will slide into the inlet on the carb and secure with the screw. To get the broken screw out you may need to drill it out and use a self threading screw to replace it.
    Good luck with the fix.

Anay
    Participant

@anayb

Drilling it out, that’s brilliant! If anyone has anymore creative ideas or links to parts, let me know!

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

Here is where you can get a new throttle arm connector. 

It has a cable end repair piece included but for 4.95 not a bad deal.

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Dbanta
    Participant

@dbanta

or this one – 

In wine there is truth, in water health.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.