Tonneau Cover Question

Home Forums General Discussion Tonneau Cover Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

When the tonneau cover is installed, does it cover the convertible top and run to the dash or does the convertible top in the boot lay down over the tonneau cover? If the tonneau cover lays over the whole shebang, then my 34 year old original tonneau doesn’t fit. I can barely reach the dash WITHOUT the top installed.

This also makes me wonder if my 34 year old original convertible top will reach the windshield.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I’m sure they are not ALL exactly same, but, my tonneau cover works is the convertible top,(bows and all) must be taken off and the tonneau goes from the boot to dash. It covers the cockpit area only. It is a taut fit, but not straining the stitching. Yours may be so old the material has lost it’s stretch. The vinyl, being an oil based material, will dry out after many years.

Amor Conquista Todo

Royal
    Participant

@royal

It, of course, depends on the design.  But, it should cover everything that would be “inside” the car including the dash and it’s instruments.  From the top of the humps all the way back to the top of the tub, over the collapsed top and attach just forward of the “fuel tank”.  Usually they had a zipper running longitudinally from the rear view mirror aft to just rear of the seats.  This would allow you to leave the tonneau in place covering the passenger seat when driving solo.

If you drive top down a lot, a well designed tonneau is a top notch accessory, and it makes a boot cover for the top redundant.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks guys. Guess the tonneau will me on my Santa list.  🙂

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

On my Classic Roadster MGTD, the factory made Tonneau Cover, coveres the top and bows. The Tonneau cover, snapps onto the dash between the windshield and over the top of the dashes two humps. This is nice as the wooden dash and all gauges are covered. The rear edges of the Tonneau Cover, coveres the top and bows, and has button snaps on the back side of the rear Fiberglass tie in piece, just above the engine cover. I am sewing a new Tonneau Cover for my car, using Marine Grade vinyl, with an over sized sipper running down the middle. Mg Magic sells Tonneau covers for the Fiber Fab Kit as well. They cost a small fortune, so you may want to contact a local Upholstery Auto Shop to get an estimate on the cost of one to be custom made for your car.

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I made mine out of a Union Jack shower curtain. No zipper, and really light-weight but good for keeping the dew out overnight during spring shows, and keeping prying eyes (and spring showers) out if I need to park her somewhere for a few hours. Including the snaps and a snap installation kit I think I have $40 in the thing, and mine cost more than the one I linked above.

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I made mine out of a Union Jack shower curtain. No zipper, and really light-weight but good for keeping the dew out overnight during spring shows, and keeping prying eyes (and spring showers) out if I need to park her somewhere for a few hours. Including the snaps and a snap installation kit I think I have $40 in the thing, and mine cost more than the one I linked above.

I LOVE it! I think I’m going to steal your idea! 💡 I promise to give you the credit if anyone asks. Thanks!

Amor Conquista Todo

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah pretty easy. I needed my wife’s expertise (and sewing machine) for the back corners; she installed some elastic gathers there and pie-sewed the edges.You can see what needs doing just by draping the curtain over the cockpit. I installed the snaps first and then had her sew.

Overkill: I also sacrificed a chamois cloth and had Karen sew strips of it along the edges so that, in the unlikely event that the cover is left on a long time on a windy day, the shower curtain material won’t hurt the paint.

Rob Haettich
    Participant

@mrhydrant

Hear is what I did,  I wanted to have the convenience of having both the tonneau cover and the soft top together, but that we’re using the same snaps.  Across the back on the body is the male snap, then on the tonneau cover I removed the cap of the snap and pop riveted a male end to the top of the tonneau. Now I can just snap the top to the tonneau cover. I can roll the cover and fold the top and secure with Velcro.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

I like that idea. No need to remove the tonneau when the top is required. Get less wet when it starts to rain

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.