Turn signal issue on duchess

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Turn signal issue on duchess

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Chuck
    Participant

@scchuck

I just purchased a TD duchess and the turn signals don’t work.  I can only get the green turn indicators to light if I turn on the fog or park lights and then turn on the turn signal.  All head and tail lights work as expected, brakes lights work as well.  Where is the fuse panel and the turn signal flasher unit on these?  The first time I tried the turn signals, they did not work, the indicator lights did not work, but the gas gauge seemed to raise and lower in correspondence with would normally be a flasher pulse.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi Steve,

On my VW based Duchess, the fuse block is behind the dash, driver’s side, attached to the “firewall”.

The flasher unit is just a few inches from the fuse block.

“I can only get the green turn indicators to light if I turn on the fog
    or park lights and then turn on the turn signal.” – So, the indicators flash, but the turn signal themselves still do not operate? That’s really odd, since the indicators are usually just spliced into the turn signal circuit. IF power is not running through the turn signal circuit, the indicator should not flash.

The running lights/turn signals are three pole sockets and bulbs. Are all three wires connected at each turn signal? Since the brake lights work, the rear lights are probably wired correctly. Check the fronts.

I suspect the gas gauge needle movement is just a reaction to the car’s electrical system trying to send power to the turn signals. Did the gas gauge needle really move through it’s arc? Or did the needle just flicker in time with what the turn signal pulse would be?

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Scott A Chynoweth
    Participant

@1oldbuzz

Sounds alot like bad grounds.start checking the ground at every bulb.The dash indicators should not light when turning on lights,the system it trying to ground through a hot wire.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Your problem sounds similar to mine. My brake lights were not working.

The turn signal lights on Bridget (a BCW) are different bulbs than the brake lights. But when I disconnected the ground wire to the rear brake lights, the turn signals still worked, but they also flashed the brake lights.

The grounds are many and varied in these cars. In my case, it told me that the ground to the brake lights were good (before I disconnected) and that the bulbs were also good.

I have no idea how or why taking off that (-) wire caused the turn signals (and parking lamps) to take over the brake lights. Fortunately, I didn’t need to know why it was happening to fix it. I put the ground back and kept looking for the problem.

I checked all the fuses, the bulbs, replaced the sender switch at the master cylinder. Still got nothing. Clipping the wires together at the sender lit one of the brake lights (the other lamp came back to life after some cleaning). The problem turned out to be the shovel connectors to that sender switch. Put on new ones and the brake lights came right back.

If you check every connection, and don’t necessarily trust the ones that look and feel secure, you’ll find the problem. Don’t replace parts until you try that first. And good luck. This is fun, right!

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here is a reply from my favorite VW connection:

Needle moves and also have to have park lights on for signals
    to work

AH HA ! Me knows what’s up…..

A bad ground is finding a ” ground ” by back
    feeding  through other electrical circuit(s) ……. ..somewhere.

Start with a test wire with alligator clips and check for all related ground connections, also if VW based the main ground
    is probably wired to chassis ground  via the steering box cover nut as is
    done on many VW based kit cars.~

Hope this is of help…..

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.