Weepy "BIG" BCW (oil, that is)

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Weepy "BIG" BCW (oil, that is)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Folks,

Here is HappyJack with the “Ed-Inspired” goggles and collapsed windscreen
    This was BEFORE he and Roy discovered a massive and getting more massive oil leak (1 qt/hr or so is my estimate)
    The leak started out slow with just some misting onto the engine tin 
    And then getting to a full flood of oil.  Seemed to be coming from behind the crank pulley, getting into the belt, and then spraying all over.  Found out that this car has a SCAT pulley with a sand seal instead of the typical grooves to hold the oil in the engine.  I pulled the pulley and found that most of the RTV that holds this “no-drill” sand seal into the case was gone.  I tried installing Roy’s old “standard VW” pulley and that leaked worse than the defective sand seal pulley.  It also seems that these seals wear and need periodic replacing, so I’ll have to order at least the new seal, or the seal and shaft bushing, or maybe I’d be better off replacing the complete SCAT pulley and sand seal parts.  And now I have a nice sheen of oil all over everything from the rear view mirror back — which gets progressively worse as you get closer to the pulley…..
    And this is all on the heels of working on the left Dellorte DRLA 45 carb, which refuses to feed gas to #3 cyl….the joys of owning a big block TD….
    And to add insult to injury, I found the Blue Light Special, and I’m not talking about K-Mart as I was “goosing the car a little” to see if I could get #3 cyl to kick in.  But the DMV enforcement officer in the unmarked car was kind and wrote me up for exceeding 50 in a 50 mph zone.  At least he did not have the nerve to tell me “have a nice day” as he was handing me the ticket.  Seems that even with only 3 cylinders working,  that 200 hp engine can easily go from 40 to 73 in just a few seconds with enough noise to get any police car within a mile to went to investigate.
    So once I recover from the ticket reduction cost (faulty equipment), the court costs (even though I did not go to court) and the fine, I’ll order the SCAT stuff and get the oil leak fixed.  Then on to the carb, and finally, I’ll try to find a quieter muffler to fit those headers.
    Ed, I wonder if I would have been better off if I had raised the windshield and removed the goggles…???
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Not sure what the prevailing wisdom is…but I had a chat with Henry Reisner (owner of Intermeccanica and builder of my 356D) about this exact issue. He swears by the stock set up, with the grooves. Told me to never go with the seal type pulley.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

in defence of “Roy’s old standard VW pulley”:  much of the boss where the crankshaft comes through the case of Jack’s engine has been removed to allow for the sand seal.  Unfortunately installation of a sand seal means you can’t go home.  You’re gonna be stuck with the sand seal from there on.

I believe that the stock VW grooved pulley design is superior to sand seals in all but extremely dusty conditions.  (Just my 2¢.)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Happy.  How did you make the folding windscreen?  Dennis P

Royal
    Participant

@royal

the folding windscreen a’la MGTD, is rather common (and may be standard) on all BCW and Allison kits.  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

More on the sand seal’s origins: http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?messageID=328841

Some advice on which seal to buy and a guy with the same problem fixing it.
    Goggles, yo. They help, always.
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed,  thanks for those links — good info…

…seems like I’m seeing the effects of lots of oil pressure, lots of horsepower, and oil that needs to go somewhere and the worn sand seal surfaces is a good place for it to let loose and make a mess…
    As Royal says, I’m kind of stuck with using a sand seal.  And it sounds like I’ll be replacing the seal often.  But they are only a few dollars and are available so I guess I’ll see how long the new one will last then buy some spares.  I did decide to get a new SCAT sand seal pulley and will install it this week.  I’m in the process of pulling the car out into the “lower forty” to hit it with the power washer and degreaser — need to get all of that thown oil off of everything, as well as clean up the mating surfaces for the sand seal.  Aircooled.net recommends the use of an RTV sealant 

Elring Dirko RTV Silicone Gasket Maker Compound

to seal the sand seal mating surface to the case.  Hope this fix works.  Then it will be on to finding out what’s still wrong with that Dellorto barrel that feeds #3 cyl…

…and I did not realize how much wind buffets the driver when the windscreen is down — not something I want to experience at 70 mph…
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Brooklands aeroscreens are the answer to that. Track-legal as a “windshield” under AAA rules circa 1950 and they look just . . . so . . . right.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed, 

After the oil leak is fixed…and the #3 cal problem is solved…and the single-circuit master cylinder is replaced…and the e-brake is relocated — then comes the Brooklands aeroscreen.  I really like the way it looks on Bridget — but can’t remember, do you have one for the driver and one for the passenger on your car or just the driver?  Maybe I’ll have one on Emma in time for Va Beach in October — we can both drive in with our Snoopy hats, driving gloves, goggles and Brooklands aeroscreens blazing…
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I bought two. Having just one is very respectable as well, however.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.