What goes here?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars Chevy/Ford Kits What goes here?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Hi all,

I found out that Stella’s oil leak is coming from a hole in the block right above the oil pan. It is on the drivers side just behind and below the oil filter.The opening looks like it goes through the block to the pan at a 45 degree angle. When the engine runs it sprays out oil in a fine mist. I feel like it must be some sort of sensor as I cant find any threads on the hole and I can’t find any pictures to see what it might be. If anyone has a 2.3 could you check? Thanks!!!    Geoff

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Geoff;

Went home at lunch and took a look.  If you mean a hole 4″ directly in back of the oil filter, 45 degree slant, there is most certainly supposed to be a bolt there!

Hex head, probably a 7/16 or 1/2.(?)  The threads are probably deeper inside than you can feel with your finger.

Time for a trip to the auto store to get trial size bolts.  Since the old one came out somewhere, be sure to thread lock the new one.

Good Luck
    Ringo

The Haynes manual also shows this bolt (plug?) in place.

Ringo39948.7000347222

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Thanks sooooooo much Ringo, I will try as soon as I get home.   You rock!

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Geoff;

When I got back to work it bugged me that my quick inspection and check of the manual didn’t explain what the bolt (seal?) did!

A longer look and a more critical reading of the manual told me……………ABOSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!! 

There is no mention of this item anywhere in the written directions but it’s visible in 2 of the break down photos.  WTH?

So, I had hoped I could give a proper size or function but the bolt is obviously there to spray oil when it’s not there…..

Can anyone out there enlighten us as to this apparently important fitting?? 

Ringo

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

Wow, you my friend, are an encyclopedia! Thanks for helping me with this, I have been going bonkers trying to figure out what goes there! I have no Idea why it’s there, but I can tell you when it’s not It serves as an oil sprinkler! My garage is a mess!!!! Ughhh

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Call or e-mail Esslinger’s or Racer Walsh…they’ll know for sure.

I suspect it was for some sort of oil line that went to the turbo charger on the 2.3L Fox body Mustangs and T-Bird Super Coupe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.