Wheel Options – Wires? Hub Caps?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Wheel Options – Wires? Hub Caps?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I just got my MG wheel medallions from Moss in today. They are as Paul described with a post that mounts with a cotter pin. These Moss parts really look good by the way. They are recessed between the edge and center post area which makes sense when you look at the MG caps like Paul posted the link to. Those caps have a flat outter rim and a convex surface toward the center. They remind me of the VW smoothie or baby moon style caps. I would prefer to use the smoothie over the nipple style. Only way I know to tell for sure if these will work is order one and pay more for shipping than the hubcap costs. Has anyone used the smoothie with the MG medallions?

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Mike,

I have not seen them on smoothies. But given the shape of the stock MG TD hubcap, they should work fine.

Measure and mark a hundred times before you drill the center hole!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Bill Gould
    Participant

@texag71

I can also suggest sticking some masking tape on the hubcap and marking the center on it before drilling. The tape should keep your bit from wandering away when you first start drilling.

1981 Lafer TI
    1600 cc Type 1 engine

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

I think the medallion would look good on a smoothie. I agree that the convex surface will be more difficult to layout the center and drill. If I go the smoothie route I will clamp my spare tire to a mill table and indicate the center hole on the wheel. Then I can use the wheel as a fixture to quickly drill all five caps dead center. If I use the nipple caps I will just layout center by hand and drill on a drill press. Thanks for the input on using the smoothie caps I thought there might be too much radius for the medallion to seat properly.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hey Mike,

In another thread, Ray10 posted a link to an article about an electric MG TD.

The car is VW based. I noticed it has smoothies with TD hub cap centers. Looks like you are good to go!

PMOSSBERG40778.9695486111

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Thanks for reposting those photos Paul. I had seen the photos before, but did not notice they used the smoothies and the medallion like I was talking about. Notice the coil overs on the front to take the weight of the batteries. I have ordered 1 each of the smoothie and 1 of what is described as flat style. The flat style has the EMPI logo stamped into the center, but it looks fairly small and I think the medallion will cover the logo. I will make my decision between the two and order four more to complete the set. I do think that smoothie has a clean look with the MG medallion . Whichever I choose the wheels will be painted with the MG paint you posted the link to.  Flat hubcap link: http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=4646 &image=0                     

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Another wheel option:

These wheels, painted (not chrome) are at Cip1 for $50 each plus shipping. On that site they try to sell a center cap system that shows the lug bolts and is nothing like a TD hub cap. But with the smoovies–or maybe that trick TD cap system . . . . looks like you’re getting away from an obvious V-dub look and into something else. Kind of thing you could tell a wide-eyed TD person came from Arnolt or something.

edsnova40779.8395833333

Mike
    Participant

@mike-n-scarlett

Thats a good looking wheel Ed. It also looks like the electric TD has early model MGA tail lights. Something I was considering putting on my CMC. Gave me a chance to see what they looked like.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

This combination is close to the look of the original MG wheels. It will be interesting to see what the flat style looks like. It’s a nice alternative to wire wheel hubcaps and costs less than real wire wheels. Easier to keep balanced too.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

We’ll see when you get them, but I believe the Empi logo will be larger than the MG medallion. I hope I’m wrong!

The flat-center caps are available with no logos. There are links in other threads. I’ll search….

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

NEW WHEEL OPTION!!!!

As we’ve discussed, original MG TD wheels have a series of round holes, many more than the oval holes in the stock Beetle wheel.

The MicroBus wheel has a similar number of holes as the TD wheel. But they are squared off. And the stock wheel is a 14 inch wheel.

You now have a new option!!!

CIP1 has a “custom” stock VW wheel….a 15 inch bus wheel. Check it out:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10- 6609

If you choose to use this wheel you will have to install rivets to hold the hub caps. This will involve drilling the holes and mounting the clips to the wheel.

Also, the silver is lighter than the original TD wheel. So a repaint may also be in order.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.