Which FiberFab is my car?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Which FiberFab is my car?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wannabtd
    Participant

@wannabtd

How can I tell which model is my FIber Fab? I see posts of Migi, Migi II, etc. Thanks.

Gary

ray10
    Participant

@ray10

Gary if you could take a few pictures we might be able to help you Idenetify  which td you have?

If you go into the library at the top of the page there is a quick listing of the different manufactures.

TDREPLICA Map

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7f9174ad614e43b680deba085b0abf48

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

As I recall there is a different front valance and a few other tell-tales. Need a MiGi person to chime in with details.

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

I just posted pictures of my car, which is a FiberFab (molded into the cowl under the hood).  Under the seat I also found the original receipt for a cashier’s check issued to FiberFab on August 3, 1983, in the amount of $4985.  In my case, there was a 16 year gap between the purchase price and the first titling of the car in 1999.  Hard to imagine the kit sat there unbuilt for 16 years but that seems to be the case.

Even though it’s a FiberFab, I found that it has different characteristics from most other FiberFabs owned by members of this board.  I’m not the only one like this but there aren’t many.  Key differences are:  My engine cover tilts backwards from the bottom; there’s a real spare tire; and there’s no lump on the running board just ahead of the rear fender like on most.  The original builder used a “real TD” grill shell with a real MG badge so I have no idea whether it’s a MIGI or whatever.

Maybe mine is a later model?  Maybe the date on the receipt might help identify it, but ultimately it doesn’t really matter; everything has to be custom fitted no matter which manufacturer or model you have.  My car is truly “hand built” to the Nth degree and my understanding is that everyone else’s is just the same.

wannabtd
    Participant

@wannabtd

Thanks for the responses. How do I attach pictures?

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Are you sure that it is a FiberFab?  Daytona first made the MIGI.  Daytona also made a MIGI II.  Then later, FiberFab also produced kits with the MIGI tag.

Every TDr seems quite different from others of the same manufacturer and even the same name.  All MIGI II’s were not created equal.  The manufacturers all seemed to take a lot of license to make and incorporate changes as time passed…..and then, owners all seem to delight in customizing.

I can’t help but wonder why you wonder?

wannabtd
    Participant

@wannabtd

It’s definitely a Fiber Fab. It has stickers on the inside of several fiberglass body parts with the name Fiber Fab and the person who handcrafted the part. As per being curious as to what model the car is doesn’t seem to strike me as unusual. I see people on this site listing their cars by different models/names and was curious as to what mine might be.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

To upload pictures you just need to use the image button (tiny mountains, sun) and go through the process of selecting them from your device and sending them here. Or look at gallery section.

It’s probably a MiGi but I don’t know the specifics on what makes them different from others.

My Fiberfab has the windshield cowl brackets and I don’t see that on yours in the profile picture. Each builder did things differently.

Headlight brackets would probably be flat bar crescents, like mine, instead of like the original real cars with tubular brackets. London Roadster mounted headlights directly to sides of grille (not fenders).

I don’t even know if Fiberfab body kits were used for the many other variants, but I suppose someone here does.

Bob

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My kit is a CMC/Fiberfab and unlike most MIGIs, the front of my two front fenders come together in front of the grille. MIGIs have a piece that covers the fenders in front of the grille.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

My kit is a CMC/Fiberfab and unlike most MIGIs, the front of my two front fenders come together in front of the grille. MIGIs have a piece that covers the fenders in front of the grille.

You taught me something. Thanks! So that must mean I have a CMC here too… unless there’s more to it than just that. 🙂

I guess we’re still hoping for pics, wannabtd? More than the little profile picture I squinted at already. Ha ha! Looked like your convertible top fits down behind the seats better than mine does, if there is a top folded back there.

Bob

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

With my CMC/Fiberfab kit there is a gas tank liner that fits into the body tub. If its a Fiberfab ONLY kit it’ll probably fit down in there nice and snug. However, if its a CMC/Fiberfab kit the gas tank liner won’t fit down into place all the way. You’ll have to do some fiberglass work to make everything fit. My VW gas tank fits in the liner nicely but I had to just about re-engineer the fit of the liner. All is good for now.

Allen Caron

R.Putnam
    Participant

@rickputnam

So with a new sealed fuel tank is the liner really required, just asking

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Rick. The gas tank liner is an item used mainly to prevent any fuel from leaking into the passenger compartment. If you have a SMALL dripping type leak, the liner will contain the fuel and you can soak/clean it up and make the repair.

Allen Caron

wannabtd
    Participant

@wannabtd

Bob, I’m still trying to figure out how to download pictures. I don’t see an image button with mountains and a sun.

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Bob, I’m still trying to figure out how to download pictures. I don’t see an image button with mountains and a sun.

I didn’t know the forum changed the way it’s done, sorry. If you look at ACTIVITY atop the web page here you might see my message where I was able to add a picture of the image button I was talking about. But unfortunately it doesn’t work the same as it did before this forum changed its format. Used to be able to simply select a file after pressing the image button. So for right now I only know it can be done using the ACTIVITY link, then the camera+music-note button there.

Hope I can learn how to get pictures into message postings again myself! If at all possible.

Bob

Krysta Murphy
    Participant

@kitley53

I believe I have a <b>Classic Motor Carriages (CMC) FIBERFAB </b>due to a fiberglass spare tire and  Mounted on a flat bracket between fender and grille but it has VW tail lights? So could it be a Daytona MiGI?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.