Windwing Hardware

Home Forums General Discussion Windwing Hardware

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Missing one hinge on the windwing of my BCW ’52.  

Guy on Ebay sells engraved windwing sets with what looks like the same hardware on a photo of a red MG T series.  I asked them and they say they get all their stuff from Moss. 

Moss’s site has windwings but the hinges look different.
    The dutchess manual on this site has a drawing of what looks like the hardware I have on mine:  https://tdreplica.com/Manuals/Duchess/Classic%20Roadsters%20VW%20Duchess%20Part%204%20-%20Body%20and%20Interior.pdf
    It’s the type with the grub-screw attachment for the window frame and adjustable turn screw on the pivot and one nut to the hold on the plexiglass.
    Anyone know where I can get replacment hardware?
    Tom 

PMOSSBERG2016-01-30 11:32:06

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’ve searched in vain for years to try and find the wing hinges that Classic Roadsters Ltd. used on the Duchess.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

For what it’s worth, the builder of my MGr used some very basic flat steel cabinet hinges to mount the wind wings. As i continued to work on the car I discovered that he had also used some very nice polished aluminium hinges on the seat back where they don’t show at all. Switch-a-roo!

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

Hey Paul, try this link for the style of Wind Wing Hardware for our Classic Roadster Duchess.
    https://www.finishlineaccessories.com/p-328-wind-wings-hardware.aspx

Good luck with this, I called and they did not return my message to them. It is very similar to what we have, and may have to be modified a little bit. Please let me know how it worked out for you.

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Thanks Dave.

Yup…I pretty much know or have found most (if not all) of the vendors. Those are not the style that Classic roadsters Ltd. used.

I don’t need ’em. Was just trying to help TJ out. He started this thread with the comment that his brackets appear to be the same as those used on the Duchess.

The Duchess’ hardware seems to be unique. The brackets allow the wings to fold back over the windshield (which made it nice to get a car cover to fit). And the brackets stay completely out of the way of the Duchess side curtains.

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

I just ordered the new Wind Wing Hardware, from Finish Line Auto Parts. They are the exact same as the hardware that came with my Classic Roadsters Duchess Kit, back in 1985. They are quite pricy though, about $56 including shipping from California to Florida, for a set of four hinges and fasteners. Now I have to get some Plexi Glass from Hm Depot and make new wings. Hey Ed, might you have any thoughts on how to cut 1/4 inch plastic, with out scratches and how to make the edges real smooth?? Thanks to any one else with ideas or suggestions.

https://www.finishlineaccessories.com/p-328-wind-wings-hardware.aspx

Dave

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

Dave,

Make a pattern .001″ outline in your computer, save it a .pdf file, and take it to a trophy shop, with your plexiglass, and they can cut it for you with their laser.  The laser will flame polish the edges. Use cast plexiglass instead of extruded, as it cuts smoother.  I had a graphics business for over 30 years, and it is very simple to fabricate it this way.  They can even cut your holes for you, if you put in the .pdf pattern.
    Bill

Bad Bill

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

Dave,

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, take the old one to the trophy shop, and they will make the pattern for a fee.  Make sure you get a .pdf or .cdr file of the pattern if you ever need replacements, so you don’t have to pay the setup charge again.
    Bill

Bad Bill

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Dave,  I saw those but they are not the same as the ones shown in the assembly manual drawing in for the Dutchess manual I posted earlier.  The one I’m looking for has just one bolt for the wing and then a grub-screw (or two) to fasten to the frame of the windshield. 

I think the ones you will be using will interfere with the side curtain when closed.

Here’s a photo of the hardware I’m talking about (it’s on a TF), which is what the Dutchess Manual shows and is on my British Coach Works.

Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The wing brackets Tom posted are the ones that are on my Duchess.

Remember, our windshield frames basically mount backwards. The groove faces the front, not rear. 
    So the brackets are mounted on the new “front” of the frame and leave the side of the frame completely clear with nothing to interfere with the side curtain snaps.

Paul Mossberg

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Scored a replacment windwing with old hardware at the Central NJ (Centre) MG Club Britfest today (in the rain) for $25!  Saw it in a pile of MG stuff, asked the bloke what he wanted.  He said $25 – and I couldn’t get the money out of my pocket fast enought!  LOL!  I think Moss wants $125 for the pair and I’m not sure the hinges are stil the same.  This was a perfect match.  

I took a bunch of photos at the show which I’ll post, here (it was a rainy day) but here is a shot of the TD (minus the newly installed wing) as we stopped off at NAPA to get a hex wrench to fit the strange sized grub screw that would prevent the left side of my face to become even more redder than it usually is.  

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Nice score!

How did they accept the TDr?
    Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

We parked the “mystery machine” right up against the barrier in the regular parking lot (picture attached) .  At one point someone says – “…why didn’t you park it on the field…”.  First of all there were no categories for “TDr’s” or “daily drivers” or “folks willing to drive top down for an hour in the rain” and Second, I’d have had to pay $20 for the honor of entering the corral!  LOL

So we paid our three bucks to get in and got a chuckle every time we saw a group leave the judging field, surround the TDr and start scratching their heads.  One older couple (TD owners) came over and the wife was thrilled to see that I had a gas gauge and other gauges that were not so hard to read. The husband says it looked like I swapped out the original steering column for one from an MGB…. which (after using the MGB’s on the field as a comparison) it actually does!  
    No one set it on fire, filled it with horse manure, or made an announcement from the stage demanding that I leave… so I leave it at that. 
    The rain/threat of rain kept alot of show-people away.  I guess if I had $20K to $40K invested in a concourse perfect TD I would have stayed home too rather than run the risk of skidding off the road or worse…. but that’s the beauty the TDr – minimal headaches, turn-key, semi-modern and still sharp looking at a fraction of the cost.  I use it in all types of weather – it’s sort of like therapy…LOL!
    Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

FWIW last picture shows my Rustoleum Black (formerly chrome) painted headlight buckets.  

That and the Beige painted grill (to match the interior as per originals), probably confuse the hell out of the folks as they approach it.  Not having the huge Brooklands steering wheel (and I think two more inches of width) in the BCW makes the interior seem spacious when you compare it right up against a “Tin TD”.
    Here’s another shot during yesterday’s English Spring-like weather.

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Great posting and way to represent!

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah, nice. The painted headlight buckets and grill slats are both nice details. Your car has a lot of nice details.

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Thanks Ed.

Means alot coming from you!
    Tom

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Just reading this post.  What at the mirrors that attach to the windshield?  The ones on the fenders are useless.  I would like to remove them and mount mirrors on the windshield.  Thnaks.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Rick, The fender mirrors are practically worthless.  

Alot of the original photos (especially those from England) show these cars without them.  
    Fender mounted mirrors may be more of an American addition. 
    You can attach the fender mirrors to a folding wind screen.  My mirror was “obtained” from a 1979 Sachs G-3 Moped (which I conveniently had in my garage).  I see “modern” rectangular wind screen mirrors, but in my experiences (early 50’s Jeep Station Wagons) period correct mirrors were round.
    Tom    

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The flat mirrors that came with these cars are useless.

But convex mirrors on the fenders have worked fine for me since 1983.

Paul Mossberg

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

I agree that cowl mirror is worthless, I put mine on the windshield, also two mirrors up above the windwings to catch those over worked British MG’s trying to catch up and look at me.  Was kind of hard to see in the photo, so the magenta arrow.  I really like the mirror set up now, I also have fender mirrors, hard to get adjusted to the right spot, but they help.

Bill

Bad Bill

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

I moved the fender mirrors to the folding window bracket.  I’ll get a convex mirror to put on the right side.  Car looks nice without fender mirrors.

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Original TD steering wheel! 🙂

Tom Vilardi
    Participant

@vilardi

Rick,  

Yes, much better without the fender (wing) mirrors in my opinion.  I used carriage bolts (painted black and cut short) to fill the holes….. make the original TD folks scratch their heads even more!  Looks like a “period” fix… LOL!

I left the cowl mounted “rear-view” mirror (I think BCW’s used a a poorly manufactured copy of an original) and I had to put a piece of rubber underneath to keep the stalk it from vibrating too much.

Walcks 4WD in PA  http://walcks4wd.com/ (and I’m sure Ebay) carries a surface mounted 1950’s grub-screw attached chrome round side-view mirror (which I use on my Willys’s Station Wagon).  I have not tried this application on the BCW TD.

Tom   

Tom Vilardi
    BCW Model 52
    South Orange NJ

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Steering wheel is way to thin.  I am thinking of changing it for a thicker smaller diameter wheel with spokes similar to the TD wheel

Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.