Wiper Arm Length

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Wiper Arm Length

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I just did an advanced search for wiper arm length and came up empty. So…what is/arm the correct length for the wiper arms? Will the arms from my 71 Beetle donor be too long?

Thanks

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Yes, they will be too long.

I had to cut them back and also bend at leastone of them to achieve the desired travel path across the windshield.

Rest them on the wiper motor mounts and rotate them back and forth to figure it out for your car.

Or…Rain-X and drive fast!

PMOSSBERG2013-03-04 16:30:50

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Just like Paul, I had to buy some that were too long and too big.  Essentially, mine are home made wipers of parts from others.  ….and Rain-X

john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

I dont drive in the rain…maybe …unless caught in  sudden  thunderstorm here on the coast

jebarry2013-03-04 18:03:23

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Check your 2012 calendar regarding driving in the rain.
    Yes, the arms need to be cut down. Then it’s trial and error to obtain the correct arc.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Allen, The local OREILLY Auto Parts was able to order replacement VW arms with adjustable blade atachments to get the angle correct. The arms also could be adjusted for length as well. They also have 9” blades which are short enough for my London Roadster but about a half inch too long for the BCW which has a lower windshield height. I am still able to use the 9” blades by adjusting the blade to arm angle . If my memory is correct ,two arms and two blades were under $40.00. They are a silver gray color, not chrome or stainless.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

If you’ll use the “old school” VW wiper arms that don’t have the J-hook connection on the end, you can cut both the wiper arms and the wiper blades to the length that you want, pretty easily.  The blades simply attach to the arm with a setscrew, and between moving them slightly on the arm, and trimming the blade (if needed) you can adjust both pretty readily.  You can trim off that end of the arm, if desired.

The setscrew connector is also slightly offset from center on the blade, so you can experiment with the blade in two different configurations.  The downside is that those blades don’t seem to work quite as well as the newer ones, at least in my experience… and those replacement blades are a bit harder to find. 

I’m not sure, but I think they were last used in 1967… I know for sure the old style was being used in 1964, and I think they continued through 1967 with simply a slightly longer blade to match the larger windshield on the bug.  They were used on the bus through 1967, using both a longer arm and a longer blade.

Some of the ones with the J-hook will allow you remove the flat piece of the arm that has the hook on it, by removing a couple setscrews, and shorten the arm, then reinsert it.  Some, especially aftermarket, do not…

KentT2013-03-04 19:00:43

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

My Fiberfab Ford kit was missing the wipers and arms so I bought the “Wiper Arm and Blade Set, Deluxe” from MG Magic. It has the “old school” straight arm with set screw as described by KentT above. I had to shorten both arms and blades about 3/4″ each so the blade wouldn’t hit the top or side of the windshield frame.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’ve got a set of arms from my VW-based BCW I’d be willing to part with. They worked OK the few times I needed them. Probably better than the rig I overthrew them for but there’s no going back now.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks for all the info. Wondering if the earlier set will fit on the 71 wiper assembly? If so. then I should be able to purchase an early set. Ed…is your BCW windshield the same size as my CMC Fiberfab windshield?

Allen Caron

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

newkitman wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. Wondering if the earlier set will fit on the 71 wiper assembly? If so. then I should be able to purchase an early set.

They should… they just tighten onto the shafts that stick through the cowling with a hex-head setscrew.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Don’t know if my windshield is the same as yours. Several kit MFGs offered two sizes–regular and tall. Mine’s regular; the frame is 12 inches high in the center.

The original wipers “worked” and swept the glass about as they should.

Wiper arms are as pictured–note the unequal lengths (I never did before). They are indeed adjustable. The blades are 8 inches. My donor was a ’69 and the arms clip on knurled hubs that fit the shafts with set screws. I mucked those hubs up pretty good with my vicegrips when I took them off: didn’t realize there were TWO set screws on each. But they’re easy to get.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

KentT wrote:
    newkitman wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. Wondering if the earlier set will fit on the 71 wiper assembly? If so. then I should be able to purchase an early set.

They should… they just tighten onto the shafts that stick through the cowling with a hex-head setscrew.

I need to retract this — Ed’s pic jogged some memories….

When VW went to the 12v system in 1967, they started having problems with keeping the hex-head setscrews for the wiper arm tight on the wiper shafts with the new 2-speed wipers.  (6-volt wipers were single speed).  The setscrew would loosen enough on the shaft that there would be sloppy arm motion, or they’d stop sweeping completely.  So, both VW and the aftermarket addressed that…

The aftermarket (Anco and Trico primarily) offered J-hook wiper arm “upgrade kits” such as Ed pictures, that used the shaft adapter that Ed describes and the more traditional-style wiper blades.  VW dealers initially offered a kit that used the old-school flat style blades, yet used the splined shaft adapters Ed pictures. 

I think that somewhere in the 68-69 timeframe, VW actually changed to splined shafts on the wiper frame assembly, requiring larger holes in the cowling, etc.  But, it solved the problem of the wiper arms coming loose…

A, B, G, H are the newer style, as are Ed’s in his pic.  E & F are the “old-school” type I was referring to, while C is an “old-school” arm for a bus, most likely, with it’s taller windshield.  I can’t remember exactly what Type III’s used — so C may be a Type III wiper arm…

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I’m gonna add to the confusion.

My donor car was a 1971 Beetle. The wiper motor shafts have a splined section, and a threaded section that has a smaller diameter. The arms (used in at least 1971 and 1972) have a hole completely through the end, with a splined section that mates to the shaft, and a nut that screws on from the top. No set screws. Like this:

To make them work on the MG, the arms had to be cut, and at least one of them had to be heated and bent. I’ve lived with them since 1982. But this discussion made me look at alternatives. I think I’m buying a pair of these:

These are the blades I use. I’ll check size (not sure if 8 inch or 9 inch) and the manufacturer/part number later:

PMOSSBERG2013-03-05 12:29:27

Paul Mossberg

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul, my donor car was a 71 Beetle as well with the splines and smaller straight shafts. You mentioned that you had to cut the arms back. How was that accomplished? I have a pair of 71 wiper arms that I can use if I can shorten them. Your pictures of the wipre blades etc will really help.

Allen Caron

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Here’s a picture of what I have and a link to where I found the blades. 

do an advanced search for “wiper blades” using my name and you find a good discussion on this.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-113-955-425-BSL

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I used to use the flat blades.

The ones I posted above are the same length, but have the advantage of the full spring style frame. They make much better contact with the glass.

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Allen, with a hacksaw and a file.

I’ll shoot a couple pics for you.

I thought the assembly manual was more specific. But it just says to shorten the arms to fit.

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

The wiper blades I like are from http://www.texautomotive.com, 9″, part number B05109:

Paul Mossberg

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

And here are pictures of my “customized” wiper arms:

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Paul Mossberg

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

If you can locate wiper arms as in Ed’s picture, the ends where the blade attaches is indexed.(movable). This will eliminate the chore of having to bend them.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

If anyone wants mine? PM me. Pay shipping or collect them at Carlisle.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Bill,

I posted a link to the adjustable ones:

I may buy ’em and try ’em…but…

To a good arc across the glass, the bend on the modified stock arms is back at the arm end.

The articulated portion of the “moveable” arm is out at the blade end. So the “bend” will have to be right next to the wiper blade. Not sure that will achieve the same blade path.

Paul Mossberg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.