Wood Car Enclosure

Home Forums General Discussion Wood Car Enclosure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Entering the rainy season here in middle Georgia and as I don’t have a garage or car port and the HOA didn’t approve a portable tent/garage I’ll have to make a wooden car enclosure. I’ll make it a little larger than the TDr and light enough to lift it away (as in tip it over) out of 2×4 and 3/8 plywood. I probably will leave it under the enclosure nice and dry and safe until early march when the weather turns better. Even with the water leak located and removed, Moneypenny will feel like she’s in her own garage. Spring will bring a real 3-car garage to put the wife’s Avalon, my Silverado (Pegasus) and Moneypenny and keep them all safe and sound and out of harmful elements. In the words of Bob the Builder….Can we build it Yes we can!  😉

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

You’ve probably thought about anchoring it down good already, for the sake of keeping it from flying away in a strong wind. I’m curious what you’ll end up building as a liftable design.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I needed a place for my motorcycle and a simple cover wasn’t going to be enough. Easily put together a 2X4 and plywood shed against a wall of my house, asphalt shingle roof to help it look okay. The two ends are doors, a sheet of plywood on spring hinges; and a horizontal plywood sheet for the lower outer wall with corrugated plastic white panel above for daylight to help illuminate the inside.
    Tight fit even after stretching the 8′ X 4′ frame as much as possible but it was so easy and fun to make.

I was going to go with the metal-framed canopy thing for my car but I keep thinking the cost of one of those isn’t worth the time it’ll probably last before the canopy material degrades to the point of needing replacement. Likewise if I were to make my own. So a more permanent structure makes more sense. Problem for me is the space and location, which is extremely limited. Can’t really enclose my carport because the A/C is under there. And outer side is on a steep hill with no way to go around.

My only option might be to enclose the back end of the carport and have a wide doorway there, building garage-like place beyond it with another wide door at the far end too or else there would be no way to get through to back yard from there. Yet another problem with doing that is how it would cover a large window, which I’m unwilling to do.

Anyway… sorry for going on about my own car storage dilemma. Sounds like you have a good open space to work with there.
    Toller
    Participant

@toller

I share the same concern as Bob re anchoring the enclosure I had a 12×20 portable garage with 12″ screw anchors at each corner. First winter storm tore the poly tarp and steel conduit structure off the anchors and wrapped everything around hydro pole and took out service to house. Had to move tractor and ATV out of the garage to make room for TDR. Will be building 3 vehicle pole barn next summer to get all the toys under cover

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

Unless specifically prohibited in your covenants, I don’t understand how the HOA has jurisdiction over a portable tent/garage.  Perhaps I just don’t understand, because normally they only have power over things that are physically attached to your land.  Maybe your portable tent/garage has stakes that get pounded into the ground?  OTOH, if they DO have jurisdiction over a portable tent/garage, I certainly don’t understand how a “wooden car enclosure” could be any more of a loophole — just from the description, I would predict trouble with them.  You’d be better off and on safer legal ground to buy one of those inflatable covers where you just drive the car into it, seal it, and inflate it.  Nothing attaches to anything.  I think they’d be very hard pressed to claim jurisdiction over that.  This is what I’m talking about:

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

So here is a low cost but durable shelter idea that I have used to cover material outside at my previous work.

1. Obtain the frame from a formerly fabric covered structure which has lost its’ cover.  Usually available for the privilege of hauling it away.
    2. Erect the framework, pinning the joints with sheet metal screws.
    3.  Purchase or otherwise obtain ribbed sheet metal roof panels.
    4.  Attach the panels to the from with washerd self drilling screws. I prefer running them front to back for greater rigidity.
    5. Anchor.

If you keep it straight and neat it may not attract neighbor’s complaints.
    The example in the picture has actually been raised 12″ to allow a forklift to enter from the side.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Found a better solution today while talking with HOA member. He said he’d go to Harbor Freight and get their greenhouse kit. HOA will approve that no problem as there are several in subdivision. So…problem solved. Moneypenny will have a nice home out of elements until garage is built in spring.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

What a great way to show the car without leaving it outside. Although I think part of the reason for insurers wanting “classic” cars to be garaged is to be locked and hidden away. Don’t know if that’s true. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.