Starting to Think About It Again

Home Forums General Discussion Starting to Think About It Again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’m starting to think about my Fiberfab body, Chevy V8 monster again.  I’ve been away from these boards for a while, but I’ve been dealing with a variety of jobs and joblessness over the past few years.  Add some relationship ups and downs, and changes, and that hasn’t left much time for tweedling with cars too much.

Things are more stable right now,  but I don’t know if I’ll ever recover fully financially from losses over the last 6 years.  Yet I remain hopeful that my little dream cars will run again someday.
    If you recall, the red Mr. August on our TD Replica calendar a few years ago is a Fiberfab body on a mix-mash of components:  Chevy 283 V8, bored out 0.060, Auto 400 transmission, Datsun 260Z rear end, and a Chevy Chevette front end.  Manual steering and manual brakes, the bored out engine is a beast to keep still at a traffic light.  I’ve been afraid to take her out again since my initial run in 2011, I think.  She’s been sitting ever since.
    I recall some folk here saying something about replacing the Chevette front end with a Mustang II front end.  Since I’ve no money to have a shop do this for me, I’ll be digging into it myself as time and funds allow.   Is this what I’m looking for?

PMOSSBERG2014-09-14 18:19:12

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Couldn’t open your link. Try FatmanFabrications.com or Heidts.com for complete kits. With the V8 you can get upgraded brakes as well.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

It worked for me. Did you delete the quote signs?

It is a list of all the eBay ads for Mustang II front ends by multiple vendors.

Good pictures.

Many different models.

Which one fits a front engine TDr chassis?

MUSTANG II IFS SUSPENSION KIT gm ford mopar front end 2 front end chevy truck

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

I used a fatmans front suspension. They can narrow the cross member and the rack to fit your frame and

or the track you want. Mine is narrowed to 48 inches.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

It’s good to know that Fatman can narrow the front end crossmember.

Has anyone identified a rear end that can handle more torque than a Chevette or Pinto differential. I’m not looking for a narrowed Ford 9″.

Does it still use half leaf springs or is there something more sophisticated?
    Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

I got a ford 8 inch from currie narrowed to 49 inches. Centers are easy to find.

Melvin Collins
    Participant

@fairwindsnc

also using coil overs

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I would think the Datsun rear should hold up OK behind an automatic. If you want something stronger you’ll be looking at a narrowed Ford 8-inch. Money.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Mustang II uses an 8″ in some models. Track is correct and the lug pattern will match the front end.
    You can use the half leaves or better yet build a multi link setup using coil overs. Whichever method you choose to use I highly recommend the addition of a panhard rod.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

Mustang II front and back. Good to know.

That simplifies speedometer calibration too.

I assume that the Mustang II doesn’t use a multilink suspension with a Panhard rod. Where does that come from? A custom Rod Shop job sounds like it would cost as much as the rest of the car.  

Court Wizard
    Participant

@court-wizard

Check out Speedway motors
    www.speedwaymotors.com/???
    They have weld in front and rear axles and parts.
    IFS crossover from $499
    Complete rotors, coils, spindles, brakes, etc $1200
    They sell a panhard kit from $44
    Panhard Bar Rear Weld-on Kits
    As sloppy as my Chevette front end is I’m gonna get one when the checkbook says it’s Okay.
    I’ve already retrofit the rear with an airbag suspension.

No trees were injured in the making of this message, but some electrons were inconvenienced.

Peter C. King
    Participant

@bdriver

A  hot rod shop. Who’d have thunk it. I rummaged through my catalogs and found an old Speedway catalog. It’s an education. 

How about a 4 bar kit in stainless for $299.95

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.