Advice, Please?

Home Forums General Discussion Advice, Please?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    John Simion
    Participant

@johnsimion

I am trying to finish up with the paint and bodywork, so I just took the old grille shell and the replacement slats from MG Magic to the chrome shop.  While I was there, I asked about rechroming the old bumpers and was quoted $450.”  I mentioned that I could buy the bumpers new from MG Magic for $360 and the response was that the new ones were probably s— and the chrome on the new ones would be poor by comparison to rechroming the old ones.  Told him I’d think about it but I have to wonder … wouldn’t the 1983 bumpers be almost exactly the same quality (poor or not) as those from MG Magic?  And how much better could the chrome shop chrome be than the originals?

In actuality, the two bumpers from MG Magic plus overriders and the rubber trim set would be $653 including shipping, so maybe this tips the scale in favor of rechroming.  OTOH, the chrome shop didn’t quote for the overriders and these guys are absolute experts at charging.
    I add here that the original 1983 bumpers aren’t exactly bad, but there is some light pitting and evident rust on the backs of both the bumpers and overriders, as well as a slight dent that the chrome shop says they would get rid of.  The condition is hardly surprising and probably would be acceptable to most people — self included, IF I wasn’t already so deep into this project anyway.  I just hate to get everything else perfect and then have something detract from it.
    Has anybody bought any bumpers or parts from MG Magic?  Or, is the chrome shop simply ripping me off?
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Not sure about the chrome shop you mentioned but a lot of folks here in middle Georgia order re-chroming from a California company CALLED “Bumper Boys” (may be spelled bumper boyz).

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Almost 4 years ago, I called MG Magic about bumpers.  They said that they had a couple that they could not sell as new.  I bought one and believe it was less than $200.  I could not tell it from new.  Looks perfect to me.  Maybe worth a phone call??

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

I bought replacements for mine from a MG vendor at Carlisle for 90.00 each. He is there every year. Over riders were 45.00 each I think. Have lasted well. Few years old now. Check normal MG vendors on line.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I like Dale’s (schu) approach. If you can wait for a major import show/flea marklet like Carlisle, youwill save a lot of money.

Another source is Moss Motors. A complete front and rear bumper kit from Moss Motors is $550 and includes bumpers, overriders and a chrome nut and bolt set.

If you just need the chrome face bars, they are $220 each. And a set of four overriders is $57. 

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

ask for a quote from mars plating in Pa they have a website. they are a class act been doing it forever. also I bet the old bumpers are better steel.crash552015-07-22 17:11:58

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Check with this guy in Knoxville TN – he’s a Moss Motors distributor, and his prices are lower than Moss directly…

I got a complete set, font and rear with overriders, inside face bars, spacers, chrome bolts, rubber seals, and the front “S” braces and bolts for $600 – about $100 less than ordering directly from Moss…

http://www.sportscarpartsltd.com

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

My last bumper came from Moss .It’s slightly narrower than the one that came in the kit. No difference in quality that I could see.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Steve Struchen
    Participant

@mustang_evets

Aren’t the front and rear different lengths?

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Yes, the rear is longer. The radius of the curved ends is also different.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

My kit came with two identical bumpers. If the front is supposed to be shorter, than that explains the shorter one supplied by Moss.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I too, also thought the front was supposed to be shorter.

davearoy
    Participant

@davearoy

MG Magic sells what they call slightly blemished bumpers as “seconds”. I bought one earlier this Spring. They charged me less then $100, plus shipping. They only have them so very often, but it is worth the question to them. I had to look very hard to see the blemish on the one I got, and some quality rubbing compound, helped to clear it up.

Just a thought…………..

Dave
    Lakeland , Fl

Dave
    Lakeland, Florida, where we drive Topless every day

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

All this talk about bumpers and I thought I’d check mine. Both are the same length although one of the bumpers has the ends which are curved sharper than the other. I believe this is the rear bumper because the other one has a slotted hole in the center to replica the slot for the hand crank of the original TD.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.