Air Conditioning?

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Air Conditioning?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Is it possible to add air conditioning to a VW engine?  If so, what size would I need to upgrade to (1600 cc right now, I believe).  It’s just too darn hot right now to be out in the afternoon without AC in Phoenix.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Here is some info…I know nothing of this company

http://www.iceac.com/Articles/install_ac/index1.html

Home Page:

http://www.iceac.com/

PMOSSBERG40709.9393055556

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

Thanks Paul.  I will start researching some locations in Phoenix this week.  I was out today in my London Roadster with the top down and I was doing OK as long as the car was moving.  About noon I stopped back at the Speed-o-shop that repaired my odometer on Monday.  They found three ground wires not (re) attached.  That explains why my interior turn signal lamps were not lighting, the tachometer was not reading properly, and the 12V power outlet wasn’t charging my cell phone.  I also got my first look under the dash panel and located my fuses and a lot of “homemade” wiring with too much electrical tape as connections.

Unfortunately, Miss LR decided not to restart when it was time for me to move one, so one thing after another, I retrieved my van and towed her home once more.  Maybe she just doesn’t like 100+ F weather.  Once I got her home, she started up again.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

fuel vapor lock? 

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

We did find a leak in the fuel line last week, but thought that we had patched that up.  It got pretty hot yesterday, maybe over 110 F-  possible temps that air-cooled VW don’t like very much.

I took her out again this evening after the sun was down and 15 miles each way she ran just fine.  No adjustments from yesterday, just rest and cooler weather (relatively).

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

I’m thinking like Edsnova on the vapor lock possibility. Just for grinzos, check your fuel supply line from the tank where it’s in the engine bay and see if its laying on the engine tin or resting against the cylinder head. And if you have a fuel filter in the engine compartment (usually a bad idea IMHO), I have heard that the filter can cause the vapor lock. Just something to check. 

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Hugh Coffey
    Participant

@grandpajo

Vws are prone to vapor lock because the pump is on the motom and in hot weather the long fuel ine gets a little vapor and no suction can be drawn on the vapor. once it cools off they are fine. it small leak will also allow it to suck air. It is a suction pump. an in tank electric pump and a fuel pressure regulator will stop the problem. put the regulator as close to the tank as possible. the new electric pumps can deliver a lot of pressure, and old VW carbs can’t stop the flow with the float in the carb with out the regulator. Another possibilty is the electric cutoff valve on the carb. it should be wired to the hot side of the coil, I have seen a lot of them not connected ther, and it can cause intermittent problems.  Just run a wire from the hot side of the coil to the solenoid. it just takes a spade push on stak-on on each end. Could have a coroded connection back there also. it willl only cost a couple of bucks to make a new  wire. It is a cheap repair to try. Have fun life is too short!

Mark
    Participant

@mglondonroadste

I’m just catching up with this thread.  I have a fuel filter in the engine compartment, and we added a second one (to be first in line) as the fuel line comes out of the fuel tank up front.  I will certainly look into this information when I get back to town.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.