Battery cable routing

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Battery cable routing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

For those of you who own VW TDr’s, I have a question.  I am moving my battery from under the passenger seat to up front, just behind the grill and would like to know the best route for the new long hot (+) lead that goes back to the starter motor.  

Happy Jack says that his runs through the forward firewall and alongside the tunnel on the floor inside the car on the passenger side, under the carpet.  
    Is this the best?  Comments/opinions please.  I’m running 1/0 cable so it’s pretty big and husky.   
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Mine runs like Jack’s, I think.  Down the passenger’s side of the center tunnel, against the hump, under the carpet.  My battery sits in the “factory” box, above the center tunnel, down below and in front of the VW gas tank.  KentT2014-01-16 09:20:00

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Weird. I can’t remember where mine runs. Not inside, I think. Maybe I forgot it’s there…

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Is inside the tunnel one of my options???  I’ve never looked in there and am wondering if it is a good or bad idea.  I’ve got no tunnel vision.  🙂  

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

It’s pretty crowded in there, when you get back to where the gear shift tube, clutch cable/tube, heater control cables and throttle cable are all sharing that space.  I wouldn’t want to risk potential abrasion/rubbing through the insulation since there’s no easy way to secure it and keep it clamped in place.

If your concern is abrasion in the passenger floorboard area, you could always run it inside electrical conduit, which is easily bent and formed.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, I checked: passenger side, inside floor, along the tunnel.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

OK.  Thanks guys.  Inside on the floor alongside the tunnel is where it’s going.  
    This club gives one a lot of confidence.  I appreciate the quick help, hopefully I’ll get to it tomorrow. 
    While in VaBch at the Auto & Air Show, I discovered that my seat is higher than all the other 6 TDrs by an approximate 1-2″.  So I’m going to try and lower my seat (its a bench) a bit with the battery out of the way.  
    I may cut the bench and turn it into two “buckets”.  Anybody ever done that??  
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

My assembly manual runs the cable along the right side cavity of the body where the rest of the wires are routed. All the wiring front to back run through the cavity.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Phil
    Participant

@phil

Mine is the same as newkitman  — along the right side of the passenger (right) side with the rest of the wiring harness under the inner fiberglass flange.  If I remember correctly that is where the manual says to route it.
    Phil

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Allen, I’m not assembling my TDr, just trying to move the battery.  Can this “cavity” be accessed without pulling the tub?  

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Roy, if you lower your seat you might not like where your steering wheel is. Yours is a bit higher than mine, as I recall. 

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Ed, You’re right.  I am testing seat height before I make any changes that are not reversible.  My wheel is about 2″ higher than yours as I recall.  

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Roy,

As we know, all these manufacturers are a bit different. But on a Classic Roadstes Ltd. Duchess, the wiring harnesses run through the lower part of the body sides. To access the “cavity,” all I have to do is unscrew the interior side panel.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Roy you should be able to string the battery cable through the side without removing the tub. Some carpet remove only.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Thanks Paul.  Looks like I’ve got to do an exploratory.

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Sounds like an electrician or plumber’s “snake” might be helpful…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.