BCW (Chevette) Project

Home Forums General Discussion BCW (Chevette) Project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Sadly, events are forcing me to consider selling my Chevette based British Coach Works TD Replica, the Pink MG. I’d like to offer it here on the forum before I try the eBay or Craig’s List route.

As some older forum members may remember, I took it apart to repair the speedo drive gear on the transmission tailshaft. I also had removed the interior because of mildew and water damage, building brand new Kileen LEATHER seat back, bottoms and door panels. I also got the bumpers, overriders and grille shell rechromed.

I work for the U.S. Army. The post I have been at for most of my 40 years of civilian government service, Fort Monmouth, was hit on the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC). We are closing and moving. Within the next year, I will probably have to move from my lifelong Central NJ Shore home to Maryland. Sucks when the housing market dies and this happens . I’ll get hosed on my home sale for sure.

At any rate, I have to “thin-out” my fleet and my house to prepare for this situation NOW. No telling when I’ll get my 120 day notice to move or lose my job and retire. Many of the current CECOM workforce are already relocating CECOM’s new facility at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.

If someone from the forum wants the car, I will make them a fantastic deal, even less than what I have invested in the interior, rechroming and brand new parts I bought for the reinstallation of the engine and trans. I can even deliver the car a reasonable distance for a very nominal transporation fee too.

Rich Bellefeuille
    Participant

@richbelfay

Mark,

That really is sad news. I hope you’ll stay active with the TD-Replica forum and maybe fix up or put together another “Pink MG” at some point. You are a great contributor to the forum. Your expertise on many of the topics and problems that we discuss is invaluable.

By the way, you may want to add some pictures of your car to your gallery. Looks like you have picures of everyting except the Pink MG in the group. In the meantime, here’s hoping that things turn in your favor and you can take it off the market!

Best of Luck!

Rich

Larry Murphy
    Participant

@larry-murphy

Mark, I agree with Rich and hope things go better than you expect.Is the car in the same state of assembly as shown in the photo gallery? I am glad that you are giving us 1’st choice at it .Could you e-mail me lmurphy13@triad.rr.com  . I may be just dreaming but I would like to know more so I can see about my chances of putting it in my garage.        &nbsp ;  Thanks ,LARRY M.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mark,

This is bummer news. You have done so much. My uncle was a colonel in the army and moved 27 times during his career. I hope and pray that things will work out to your favor in all this. I do love your story on the Pink MG. Keep us posted.

James

Geoffrey
    Participant

@geoff104

So sorry Mark,

What a bummer! I hate to hear of such terrible news! I truly hope you can find a way to avoid this. And I agree with everyone else, we can’t afford to lose your contributions to this awesome web site. Best wishes,

Geoff

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Thanks for all the compliments. I really appreciate them.

I won’t be gone…just replica-less for a while.

These BCW cars are hard to find and I just wanted to offer it up here first.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Mark,

I’ve only been a member of this forum for a short time but you have helped

me immensely. Best of luck in your move.

Dick

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

NJ won’t be the same in NJ without you Mark!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mark,

If you retire, wouldn’t it be nice to have the car? Is there someone or family member that can store her for you until everything settles? I have a seldom used lake house with tons of room for storage, the problem is, it’s in Memphis. With all your work invested, and you know her better than anyone, I would hate that she leaves you. A friend of mine bought one of those retired steel cargo containers for $1500, delivered. I think it is 40 foot long – 8 foot x 8 foot. He lives next door to me in Memphis and had the container placed on some land in Texas where he plans on retiring. Inside the water tight container he placed most of his toys and furniture. Someday they will build the house, but for now it works to hold things until later. They installed a vent and the neighbor down there keeps an eye on it for them. He even has a truck inside. Just trying to think of stuff that has worked for storage.

James

Mel Zeiger
    Participant

@luvmytd

Mark:

Sorry to hear that you have to move.  I appreciate you time and advise over the past few months.

Mel

Steve Crites
    Participant

@ringo

Mark,

I hate to hear this.  It would be a shame for a member as helpful as you have been to not have a replica.  I’m sure we all hope that the worst won’t happen and you can remain with your home, your job, and your cars.

Ringo

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

We’ve been filing all types of appeals to everyone, including our new President. This base closure was all political to begin with. However, it looks like a lost cause, even though the Pentagon never followed through with a BRAC Commission required impact to readiness statement.

As I stated, there are many employees already moved and moving. Most all of the job listings for “new hires” and promotions list the job location as APG, not here at Fort Monmouth. Not to knock the Aberdeen area, but in no remote way does it have the infrastructure of this area, just an hour from NYC and Philadelphia.

I am in a quandry because I’m a property owner. This move could not have happened at a worse time for us. Most of the new hires are kids that still live with Mom & Dad or rent apartments. Plus, most of us getting ready to retire had our 401K’s decimated by the tanking of the stock market. Not a pleasant situation for us ready to retire.

I also have some other toys that will suffer from this move. I have a restored and upgraded 1985 Mustang SCCA American Sedan class racer (completed) and my 1940 Ford Tudor Sedan streetrod (project) that will also need to be sold. Tough to do in this economy.

So, pass please pass the word about my BCW TD Replica. Someone will be getting great car cheap.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Mark,

I live in Sacramento and we were hit by two base closures. Talk about

trauma! A good buddy of mine who worked at McClellan was caught three

years short of retirement and was about to move to Hill AFB. He was a

property owner (paid for) and wanted to retire here. Anyway, he decided to

keep his home, leave his family here, and live temporarily in Utah. He

planned on commuting home when he could. At the last minute, he was

offered a golden handshake and was able to retire early. Here’s hoping you

get a break.

If you decide to part out the BCW, please let us all know.

Mark Hendrickson
    Participant

@pink-mg

Dick,

I’d been to Sacramento Army Depot, then McClellan Air Logistics Center many times until they both closed. SAAD was first and most of their workload went to McClellan and Tobyhanna Army Depot in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains.

These places repair the equipment that we here at Communcations Electronic Command (CECOM) logistically manage. I actually work in the Depot Workload Planning, Budgeting and Scheduling area of Logistics. So, it required I meet with the depot personnel often.

I sure miss the trips to that area, last being in the early 1990’s. I miss the nice people that worked there too. I sued to stay at the Hilton Hotel on Arden Way. We’d frequent a place called the Peppermill.

It looks like a fellow forum member, to stay unamed until it happens, is going to take the Pink MG and reassemble it.

James Cochran
    Participant

@jascochran

Mark,

Any updates on your situation of relocation?

James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.