Brake Master Cylinder

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Brake Master Cylinder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Question for all the VW based TDr folks. Which brake master cylinder do you use and how is yours wired? I have a dual brake master cylinder and have both brake switches installed but am only using one brake switch. I see no real need for using the other brake switch other than plugging the master cylinder. I don’t have the warning light and don’t think many TDrs have them. Nothing really important but just curious. Thanks.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

VW master cylinder; with only the brake light switch wired.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

At this point in time I’m only using one brake light switch.

Allen Caron

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

I think mine is the standard circa 1970 type with both switches, but I think only the forward one is connected/functional. Thought I had a picture of it from when I was trying to find out why I lost brake lights (loose switch connections), couldn’t locate that to be sure about the wiring.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I consider the second one a spare. If the one you’re using ever fails, clean the terminals and plug in the other one.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

While connecting the MC brake switch wiring, I found the MC leaking at the top front fitting from the reservoir. The rubber plug that the tube fits through appeared to be the culprit and it was. Just wasn’t pushed in enough. With that fixed, tomorrow I’ll rebelled the brakes. Getting closer.

Allen Caron

Gregg Strain
    Participant

@greggs

Probably too late with this, but the suns still shining!  Just finished re-wiring and seriously upgrading my FF TD.  I have the duel master cylinder also, but I wired both switches in parallel so either would activate the lights. Consider this; if you wired just the rear switch and the rear brakes failed, you may not not notice the decreased performance as the front brakes provide most of the stopping power. Now your brake lights won’t be between you and the cell phone user behind you! I’m so paranoid that I use hand signals also if somebody is too close. Since nobody understands them, they draw attention – which is good!

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Great subject Im getting ready to change my MC also. I like the idea of having a spare….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.