Carlisle 2014 – May 16-18

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Carlisle 2014 – May 16-18

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

OK, guys. Good thoughts and I think it’s pretty much settled: we’re going SOG this year and discussing going rogue the next.

I emailed Bruce Stumpp for his thoughts as well & will share them when he gets back to me.

I do like the idea of a TDReplica banner! That would be tres coolio.

Sorry Bill if I stepped on your idea. I’d forgotten you had brought it up–and you actually brought it up at the right time, too.

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

From East Coast Bruce, via Europe:

Ed,

Please tell your guys to join us again this year – just like last year! I don’t think you are a burden yet besides, I enjoy doing it! When it gets too big I’ll let you know.

We are in Europe for eleven days – Prague this weekend. Since I do not have Paul’s email address with me, please pass these sentiments along to him. 

We’ll see you guys in Carlisle!
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Paul. Has Bruce set up the hotel info yet? I know its early but I plan on being there. Also have they started signing up for Carlisle Import Show?

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hi guys,

No announcement yet from SOG. I will be sure to post here when they are ready to start taking reservations.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

No offense taken, I just didn’t want the dead horse getting beat up again. A discussion at Carlisle about Carlisle does seem to be necessary, though.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

I hope to make it this year. Work shouldn’t be a factor this time, RETIRED 11/27/13, just the $$ (fixed income now) and a trailer maybe a U-Haul would be the easiest. I’d love to drive her there but don’t think my legs could make it that far.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Montie, Congratulations on your new retirement.   

I have to disagree that a trailer or uhaul would be easiest.  Easiest (my view) is to take your TDr to a weld shop and have them weld up a tow hitch that is easily removeable.  It CAN be done.  You only have to pay for it once.  These kits are so light that they really tow effortlessly.  I have towed several thousand miles behind my “mid-sized”, 3 liter V6 auto trans, Mercury Mariner suv with no special towing package.   Not being able to back up has never been a problem.  

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Roy, I wish that was possible, she’s Ford powered w/auto. Taking the drive shaft is a pain, especially in a parking lot even if it’s not raining.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Bummer!  

I remember from way back in my RV days that some autos can be towed (without removing the driveshaft), some can not.  As I recall, it had to do with whether the pump inside the trans was driven by the input or the output shaft.  If output shaft driven then ok, if input driven then there was a possibility of overheating the transmission with the transmission in neutral.  I was not towing a Ford and don’t know about yours.  

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Flat towing an Auto equipped Pinto requires dropping the driveshaft

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Gabor Kesseru
    Participant

@gkesseru

Has anybody heard much about a driveshaft disconnect device for towing?
    Like this??
    http://www.driveshaftking.com/

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Take the u- bolts off at the rear differential, tape the caps on the u-joint so they won’t fall off and take some bailing wire and hang the shaft where it can’t slip from the transmission or hit the ground. Nothing fancy required.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

David and I have both registered, During their 20% off sale the fee is only $28.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

I’m signed up w/ the Speedsters. Now all I gotta do is put my car back together with a new engine…

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Taking David’s car to the chassis shop today to get his cage installed…mine will follow.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I’m in.  See you in May.  

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

I’m in — just got my “holiday” $7 discount — registered with the Speedster group

See you all in Carlisle in May
    Jack
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Okay I believe Linda and I will be there. At least I’m comfortable enough with work schedule to register. Where did you folks go to register with the Speedster group?

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Here you go Allen:  http://content.carlisleevents.com/vo/?FileID=f8d3bbef-fb0c-4d33-919f-0512afdb2ba6&m=33fa5b06-bda0-4bec-a3f2-d4945a179aba&MailID=27713388

Just click on kit cars on the bottom of the page and follow the bouncing ball.  
    Really glad that you (and especially Linda) are planning to attend.  Julie is about to jump ship if at least a few of the wives don’t come.  
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Thanks Roy. Will sign up in about an hour. Step daughter vehicle died 1/2 mile from here and have to tow it home.

Allen Caron

Al Greig
    Participant

@al-greig

Smile Just signed up.  Will be my first time for Carlisle.  Looking foward to May.  Hopefully my wife Rose will also be able to attend.

Al Greig

La Grange Park, IL (West Chicago Suburb)
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Awesome, Al! A contender for longest distance traveled.

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Roy. Did you have to purchase two tickets; one for you and one for Julie?

Allen Caron

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Jeez, I don’t think that spouses etc are required to have a separate ticket.  I’ll have to check tomorrow- too tired right now.  

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Roy. Did you purchase one ticket or two. One for you and one for Julie?

Allen Caron

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.