Carlisle report

Home Forums General Discussion Clubs and Show Carlisle report

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Well, I mede it home safely in the rain. Man, my car sure leaks now at the header bow. If anyone else is considering putting your windshield wipers up top for the cool TD-correct detail, just know that it’s likely to make your header bow leak. At least if you’ve got a BCW car. 

Rain wasn’t too bad. Engine cut out one more time momentarily (It did this three times on the way up, zero times during the show weekend–gotta be something in the electronics that falls asleep when the throttle isn’t moving much for a long time).
    About an hour into  the ride the horn started blowing by itself, full blast. DANG! We got off the highway and pulled into a diner parking lot and it stopped. I dug into it and pulled a wire off the relay anyway. The really weird thing: this exact thing happened a couple years ago. That time, I replaced the relay. These are Bosch relays, made in Germany. Damndest thing I ever did hear.
    john barry
    Participant

@jebarry

post  pics…please   tanks

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Here are a few: 

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Managed to outrun the rain. Got into clear weather half way home. Started to run a bit hot but it cooled right down after getting off the turnpike.
    Roy put over 200 photos on my camera while covering the AutoX. Just finished going through them. I’ll send them out to each participant. Ed, I have your e-mail, but Jack, I’ll need yours.

Happy Jack

Ed

David

Bill

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Man, I am sorry I missed this!  Looks like you all had a great time.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There was laughter and tears. Some made sacrifices. 

Bob
    Participant

@lrh

Looks like fun alright! Real good weather in those pictures. And great fold-down windshield pics, too.

HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Had a great time — my adrenelin high from running my 1st ever Autocross is gone and I’m still exhausted and still have my ear-to-ear grin on!!  What a blast.  The car did not break, I did not get hurt, and I’m now hooked on a new sport……..Hmm — gota find some local Autocross events here in NC….

…Got some great tips on how to Autocross from David (Bill’s son), Ed, Dale, Roy, and Bill == and surprisingly none of that advice conflicted and all of it helped.  My times improved a lot after Dale offered his air pump and suggestion to increase the air in my front tires.  David provided the wise consul on how much more air (“bring it up to 22 # in the front) to put into the tires to keep them from rolling in the turns.

Thanks again to Dale for snatching up his spare bolts bucket and tie wraps and for his and everyone’s help in getting my sagging muffler bolted back on the car once we got to the hotel.  
    CAN’t wait ’till next year!!!
    Bill, my email is JACKBNMBL@EMBARQMAIL.COM
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

I didn’t take a lot of pictues, but here are a few….

Shot of the field on Friday afternoon.

That’s “Casa Wobby” at the top of the hill in the background.

Friday Speedster lineup. 

Somehow, this seems to happen everytime we are together.

I took a similar photo at Virginia Beach.

Here’s Bill, hard at work, using a Pepsi cup and straw as a jack stand! 🙂 

TDr’s lineup outside Chez Wobby 

Paul’s IM, taken Thursday night by former Navy combat photographer Cory Drake of the Speedster group. 

PMOSSBERG2015-05-18 17:53:20

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

ricrx7
    Participant

@ricrx7

Looks like everyone had a great time.  Hope I can make it there sometime.

1986 British Coach Works Type 52 (Sammy)
    Chevy 2.8 V6, 5 speed

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

There is a caravan up from Florida. Several guys flat tow. Check the speedsterownersgroup around February of next year and get in on it!

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

Looks like everyone had a great time, I missed another great week end.   Maybe next year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Think I might try a run from the left coast some time. Son lives outside of Harrisburg and relatives in area Would be a good excuse for a road trip. Could stop along route to see relatives am retired so time  of trip not a problem.

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

George, THAT is a great plan.Thumbs Up

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

George,

I was thinking of driving Rosebud back to Montogomery, PA (Near Williamsport).  Trying to figure how to map backroads all the way across and back.

Bill

Bad Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bad Bill: A old Rand Mc Nally’s road atlas would be a place to start. AAA of California could map a route for you. But I don’t know if they still do that. Old route 40 could be interesting as well as Route 66. Either would be at least be  part on back roads. For me it is a ways away and I usually am up late/ early in the morning so time not issue for me to plan. Usually doing sewing projects or baking at early morning hours.

Route 66 would be a fun trip.

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

George,

I’ve been trying to trace Route 40, The Lincoln Highway.  It’s further north, probably cooler, since our cars of choice don’t have air conditioning.  Also would like to stay north of the tornadoes.

Bill

Bad Bill

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys.

This is just way to much fun to miss out on. Im retired too so more time for fun. Im also right off 10 so pick me up on the way east! You can just imagine the looks etc we would get driving in convoy all the way East and back.

So lets be realistic, wiring, roll cage, suspension, more power (or is there a stock class?) more rubber on each corner. hmm I can see it all now. The voice from inside the house, “we spent what on the car  and why?”

John the Brit dreaming.

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

John,

Do you think this is doable, we take about a month round trip.  You would lend some authenticity to the caper, being British.  Everywhere we stop, you can be the spokesman, with your Brit accent.  We’ll get you a monocle for one eye, and you can yell “The English are coming, (Returning).

Bill

Bad Bill

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Yeah guys! Epic.

Hey back on topic: does anyone have the Carlisle Auto-X results?
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

Hey Ed,

I got em in an email from Nelson — send me your email address and I can forward them to you.  
    All I know is that it is a good thing I had fun did not get hurt and did not break the car — because I came in 48 out of 48 participants — after the handicap………47th of 48 raw score.
    …But I finished and still have my ear-to-ear grin……
    Still Happy Jack
    HappyJack
    Participant

@happyjack

oops — I mis-spoke — 

I was 47 out of 47 entrants PAX position and 46 out of 47 entrants raw score (I beat out a 1977 Datsun 280Z raw score!!!!)
    Jack
    John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Bill

Hell yes its doable. We need to have some fun these days. Just takes a tad of planning.

Monocle huh? always wanted one, I already have the cap goggles and gloves. 

The wife even says the things are sexy?   She’s from Virginia, maybe its an east coast thing,

Regards John De Brit.  

John Black
    Participant

@britinaaz

Hi Guys

I  have done some autocross in the UK and its very different than the parking lot thing you do here. But would love to have a go. Congrats to anyone that drove in anger and finished the day. The interesting part of the results must have been the time differential twixt 46th place vis a vie 47th. Or 1st and 5th etc.

John De Brit

Montie Henderson
    Participant

@montie

If you guys on the left coast do make the expedition east, Old rt 40 almost passes my house in Dayton Ohio.  We could plan a cook out or at least stop in for an adult beverage or 2.  Beer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.